Thread: Regional dives

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries
    So many of my favorite dives have closed over the years. This was even before the 'Dumpster Fire' we call 2020.

In Berkeley, CA there was a little hole in the wall down an alley across from campus called the Pizza Haven. My favorite was their spaghetti dinner; salad, garlic bread and spaghetti. It closed back in the 1970s. There was another place across campus called LaVal's Pizza. At various times there was entertainment in the basement.

In Point Richmond was a little place called Jumbo's. My favorite was the ham & cheese omelet. My recollection is of many times having an omelet with potatoes, toast and coffee for a total of $2.72 + tip. The hamburgers were also great. The biggest problem was the owner Betty had a big heart and made many meals for people who couldn't pay. Many of the local politicians and other luminaries came their to eat and chat. it was as much a social scene as it was greasy spoon restaurant. Betty was the owner and cook. Shirley was the dishwasher, cashier and waitress who didn't write down the diner's orders.

Another one that started out a little down the highway from Point Richmond was Jo Ba Ja's. Three sisters Joan, Barbra and Janet had a bar/restaurant on the highway between Marin County and California's north coast and Oakland, California. It was in the middle of the Richmond harbor area. As times changed the area had some renovations that made them move to the middle of Richmond. Years later they moved again to El Sobrante. Their El Sobrante location was next to where my parents at one time had their furniture & appliance store. In those days, the mid 1950s into the 1970s, there was a family type restaurant connected to a bar called DiGeorgio's. My dad took me there once for lunch. After that the establishment changed hands and became Casa Del Sobrante. This caused me to laugh almost every time when driving by. It made me question if anyone ever told the owner that El Sobrante meant 'the leftover' or refuse.

The original owners decided to sell. Janet had passed on many years earlier and they were getting too old to run the business. The new owners did well for a few years until the cook and head waitress (the owner's - husband and wife) had a knock down drag out fight during the middle of business and both walked out. That was the end.

The other way down the road was a burger place called Johnny Mac's. The burgers were cooked on an open flame. Customers would put the toppings on their own burgers. There were pinball machines. One of my recollections was a cigarette machine with a price of 23¢ by the coin slot. Each pack of smokes had 2¢ inserted inside the cellophane. Imagine having that job and people actually caring that much about 2¢.

At the end of the road was an old truck stop. There was a little place with about six stools called Giant Hamburger. They ended up growing into a chain through parts of the East Bay from Berkeley to Pinole. To the best of my knowledge they are still going.

When we were looking for our retirement home we ate at many little dives up and down the west coast. Some deserved return visits. Others deserved a visit from the local health department.

There was one place we always liked to stop at in Eureka, California called the House of Omelets. Looking at Google Maps it appears it may no longer be there.

Kountry Kitchen south of Portland on I-5 is another business to disappear without a trace.

Locally we still have Stuffy's II. This is an interesting place to dine. The theme is kind of mid-1950s. There is a Marylin Monroe life size figure with what looks like the scene from Seven Year itch where she is standing over a vent.

Marylin Monroe - Seven Year Itch.png

Found a page of images from Stuffy's II > Stuffy's Images

There is also a House of Omelets in Longview. Though it is likely independent of the Eureka establishment. We ate there once and noticed everyone there was very much overweight. The food was good and abundant. We have not been back.

A place we have also eaten at a few times is the Pancake House. Small place average food.

During my days as a field technician there were many great places to stop and eat. It would surprise me to find some of them still in business with the same people.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 11-26-2020 at 3:00 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)