Thread: Help with age of chisels

Help with age of chisels

Hello all.
    This summer I was able to pick up a set of Berg chisels at an antique show. They seem to be in fairly good condition except one chisel has been rehandeled and there is a nick on the edge of one of the blades. From what I have read it seems like Berg is a respected brand. I am curious if there is any way to get an idea of how old these chisels are and if that would have any implication on the quality of the steel. I am currently using a set of Narex chisels and am waiting to get my hand cranked grinder restored to tune up the Berg chisels.
    Thanks for any info you guys can share.
    Ryan
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I am not an expert, but certainly this is a great find. The socket chisels are more valuable. The steel is supposed to be very good in these, and they fetch high prices. Having the boxed set of course adds to the value. Sorry that I cannot date them for you. I would say the box being routed probably is a clue to their age that a more knowledgeable person could pin down.

Blog Entries
    I am not sure if the link in the first post of this thread will shed any light on a date:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...32#post2160132

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 12-31-2013 at 3:36 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Based on my observations it seems that Bergs with sockets were produced for the US market, with a re-branding in Canada to "Beaver". In the UK, Australia and probably South Africa, the chisels are more commonly tang designs. Indeed it is quite rare to find a socket Berg in Oz (unless they have a direct link to the USA).

The steel is good, but not exceptional. I sold a set to fund another, and do not miss them. The reason for making this point is that some will be afraid to use them in case their value is diminished. Just use them. There are a lot around, and the only "vintage" tool that has value is the one in pristine condition.

Sharpen them up and enjoy.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Prince Edward Island, Canada's Ocean Playground
    Ryan,

Nice find, you will enjoy the Bergs. The handle with the white synthetic cap is an original Berg product, just later than the wooden handle design. A PO likely lost the original chisel and added a replacement to the set. I have a Berg butt chisel with the identical handle.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Erik

Canada's Atlantic Paradise - Prince Edward Island

From trademarkia.com "On Thursday, October 16, 1924, a U.S. federal trademark registration was filed for the above pictured logo by E.A. BERGS FABRIKS AKTIEBOLAG, . The USPTO has given the trademark serial number of 71203932" The Picture referred to is the fish or shark logo. This was renewed in 1946 and expired in 1986.
    http://www.trademarkia.com/logo-71203932.html

The trademark was registered in Australia in 1933 according to ip Australia http://www.ipaustralia.com.au/applic...demarks/62457/

Chisels that are labelled 1026 like yours can be found in an Australian catalogue from the 1960's and describes that sets are available (I have attached a scan of the page for individual chisels but sorry i dont have a scan of that page of the catalogue that mentions the sets).I met a gentleman who got one of these sets as a wedding present in the 60's if that helps.

I have some what i think are earlier chisels as they are unmarked on the front eg no 1026 or 1027 but have the logo on the back. I have some that are marked in metric (mm) and in inches with the same sockets and handles as yours and others that are tanged.

HTH

Paul

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Paul Crowe; 12-31-2013 at 8:51 AM. Reason: add picture

Thanks for the replies.
    Paul, thanks for the scan, that was very helpful.
    I am looking forward to fixing them up and putting them to use. I only paid $25 for them so I guess I got a pretty good deal.

Ryan

I'd say so (good deal). They have collector value (or "ebay" value) in the US beyond their capabilities. Everything eskilstuna does - eskilstuna razors, too, even though it's unlikely they're better than the good NY makers, they cost 3 times as much.

But collector value is value. I'd agree with derek, sharpen them and use them. It won't affect the value at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Based on my observations it seems that Bergs with sockets were produced for the US market, with a re-branding in Canada to "Beaver". In the UK, Australia and probably South Africa, the chisels are more commonly tang designs. Indeed it is quite rare to find a socket Berg in Oz (unless they have a direct link to the USA).

The steel is good, but not exceptional. I sold a set to fund another, and do not miss them. The reason for making this point is that some will be afraid to use them in case their value is diminished. Just use them. There are a lot around, and the only "vintage" tool that has value is the one in pristine condition.

Sharpen them up and enjoy.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    I think Derek is right about the socket chisels being made for the US market, alternative non-European distribution. I live in neighbouring Finland and have seen my share of Berg chisels, but not once have I stumbled upon a Berg made socket chisel. As far as this set goes, I'd guesstimate the 1950s or after. The scripted version of the Berg is a sure sign of a slightly later production. Also, the omission of the first names Erik Anton, says something about the production period.
    I have found several Berg chisels with the 1026 and 1027 stamps, but all have been fitted with plastic handles. These plastic handled chisels were the last made with the Berg company name before the merger with Bahco. I will agree with Derek that Berg chisels with the 1026 and 1027 stamps are of lesser quality although I still feel the old ones are as good as any other branded chisels I have used.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Rust never sleeps
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/77333663@N07/sets

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan McKenna View Post
    Thanks for the replies.
    Paul, thanks for the scan, that was very helpful.
    I am looking forward to fixing them up and putting them to use. I only paid $25 for them so I guess I got a pretty good deal.

Ryan
    Very, very good deal on those chisels. Cleaned up they might fetch several hunderd dollars for the set(maybe more)!