Thread: Need help deciding on first machines to buy!?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Need help deciding on first machines to buy!?

I'm a long time lurker first time poster here that's been stuck in decision purgatory for the last 6 months on what stationary machines to buy. I finally own a home with a dedicated workshop (20x20 double garage w/ an extra 6x6 walkway to the house door) after years of renting. I have a solid collection of hand tools that i've built up over the years since getting into this hobby but as far as "actual" power tools go I've only amassed a Bosch sliding miter saw W/ a Festool mini vac and Tormek T-8. I'm really interested/looking for J/P combo's, sliders (5'5 min), dust collection, bandsaw. Budget is maxed at $13k.

So far I've talked to Sam Blasco for a few minutes about a 5-1 combo but the 300 classic is just outside my range and I'm not sure if the lab 300p is worth 10k list on the sheet he gave me. I've also got a quote form Martin for a Robland HX310 Pro for around 7-8k depending on the options, and Felder has unfortunately been ghosting me the last few months. So right now I'm really considering either the Robland or getting a 16" J/P (fs41c) and a Table Saw, Bandsaw, and Dust collector from Harvey (I love bridge city tools and Harvey/BCT is having a huge thanksgiving sale this week). I feel like I could get all this for around 10k and then sell and upgrade the table saw at a later date without loosing much investment, since I dont really know anything or even find anything about the newer Robland or Harvey it makes me hesitant. I'm also not against used equipment but I would like to make a purchase in the next month since lead times at all companies seems to be a few months.

Anyway's, If you had a similar garage size and budget what would you do? Would love to get some input since I really don't have a whole lot of experience outside the hand tool department.
    Last edited by Jeremy Sims; 11-24-2020 at 12:31 AM.