Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Time for a Change?

Can anyone think of a reason why we can't leave the clocks unchanged year round and just adjust hours for offices, schools, stores etc. based on sun times? Lot's of businesses have "summer hours" and "winter hours".

Blog Entries
    First time in 20 years I'll be dealing with having to set the clock back. It is a silly and outdated ritual.

Quote "i would disagree that health and sleep are that affected by going back or ahead an hour. Our bodies can adjust extremely quickly unless you have a more substantial medical issue."

I worked (mids) night shift 12-8 AM for most of my working life... MAYBE, just MAYBE, your body can adjust quickly to the shift in time...HOWEVER, if you work different shifts, i.e. midnight shift or evening shift, your body DOES NOT adjust quickly... Ask anyone who works them... It is rough to begin with and with the time changes it is miserable for 2-4 weeks.. that is a lot of time when you feel bad because your body is trying to adjust...

Give us ONE time, do not care if it is EST or DST, just stop switching times....

Being retired it is not as drastic a problem..... unless you have pets / animals who do not know why there feeding / routine times have changed.....

Blog Entries
    (Whatever idiot originally came up with the name "Daylight Savings Time" has a lot to answer for: I swear some people still have it in their heads that screwing around with the clocks actually changes the length of the day.)
    With what some people have held on to strongly in their heads seems to indicate many of them have little more than mush between their ears.

From what Mel, Wikipedia or even the NY Times article says Daylight Savings Time started off as a joke and we are all playing along, or maybe we are all being played.

Many businesses have winter hours and summer hours. To me, that might be better than changing all the clocks.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I have sleep apnea, I spoke with a respiratory technician (think that's the right title) when I was getting a sleep test. His job requires working nights while his client sleeps. He said one of the side effects of working nights is a greater incidence of sleep apnea. Kinda ironic that someone who works treating people with a disease by the nature of their working hours is at increased risk to get the disease.

Year around DST. Sounds like the work of a mad scientist mad because he can’t afford a Rolex. “If I can’t have an expensive watch I’m
    gonna make everybody’s watches inaccurate ….by a whole HOUR ! Then my Timex will be the worlds most accurate watch !! Ha Ha HA!”
    Just a taste of a film script I’m working on. It won’t be inexpensive to make….so I might sell some stock….Yes I WILL keep you posted.

My guess is that will complain either way.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    My guess is that will complain either way.
    No guessing required...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    So the clocks have changed but my body hasn't.

My bedtime is now an hour earlier by the clock.

My get up time, no alarm clock, is also an hour earlier by the clock.

My tummy rumbles an hour earlier by the clock when it wants food.

If it weren't for being retired this would be a real pain in the backside.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

I have friends who complain about the one-hour shift to/from DST every freakin' year, but somehow manage to handle multi-hour shifts from work travel and vacations without a problem. Go figure.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    I have friends who complain...
    Its all in the narrative: you could suggest they 'protest' and reference 'existential threat'.

1st World problems are a B%&*#. (yawn) And SO tiring. I switched from DST to PST (Personal Snooze Time). zzzZZZZZ

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    I have friends who complain about the one-hour shift to/from DST every freakin' year, but somehow manage to handle multi-hour shifts from work travel and vacations without a problem. Go figure.
    Our minds and bodies become accustomed to our daily rhythms. With changing the clocks those reliable markers of our days shift.

Because of time zones, the sun rises and sets pretty much at the same time across the country and the world. It makes it easier to shift our orientation to the clock.

Though there is a common ailment of "Jet Lag" caused by traveling distances.

jtk

Jet lag sucks. Especially coming from Japan/China back to the US. There's something about arriving before you left that messes with my circadian rhythm. I'm not cut out to travel with The Doctor.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

-- just split the difference... Just have the entire planet reset ALL clocks at Standard Time plus 30 minutes.

problem solved
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    Jet lag sucks. Especially coming from Japan/China back to the US. There's something about arriving before you left that messes with my circadian rhythm. I'm not cut out to travel with The Doctor.
    Interestingly, I found the ~12 hour swing from Asia to be a lot easier to correct from than the 5-6 hour difference from Europe! I did a lot of travel to both prior to retirement. Everybody's internal clock is different I guess...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...