Thread: Dewalt 735 dust collection...

Dewalt 735 dust collection...

Looking for some advice on dust collection for my Dewalt 735 planer... I have tried everything that I have read on here, and on various YouTube vids... My first attempt was to just connect it to my Rockler wall mounted dust collection, running through a Super Dust Deputy... with the Rockler on, virtually -all- the shavings were going right into the bag and none were getting left in the container... then I turned off the vacuum, but was getting the same thing... Using the same setup for my benchtop jointer, the cyclone works as expected (mostly... will get back to that later...) so I started looking around in here and on YouTube... I tried using just the Rockler bag attached to a section of hose, and that works well, but is a hassle to take off, and getting the shavings out is messy and a pain... That's the reason I went with the yellow drum in the first place, as it is really easy to disconnect and dump into a trash bag... Knowing that maybe the blower was the issue, I tried getting a 35 gal trash can, putting a 4" input in the center and a 90 deg elbow at the edge of the lid and attaching the Rockler bag to that with a hose... lid is -really- hard to keep down (had to use bungee cords and a few spring clamps...) but it seemed that a lot of guys were having success with that method... and I put a heavy duty trash can liner in the trash can hoping for a really easy bagging, but for me, NOTHING was going into the trash can, and all just going right into the bag... ???

So I thought maybe I would try the original setup again, but after planing a bunch of pine boards, the yellow container had about 2" of shavings, and the rest were going right through the blower and into the bag... without the Rockler blower turned on...??? This combined with even off my jointer a lot of the shavings don't properly go into the drum and seem to go through the Rockler into the bag seems to make me think the Super Dust Deputy isn't working right... all of the videos I have seen show almost nothing getting past the cyclone...??? Is it maybe that the 6" ports on the SDD are too large for the cyclone to work right with my dust collector blower...???
    One thing that I noticed was that all of the setups that were using a Dust Deputy were using the 2.5" hose smaller white version connected to small buckets... but they were getting great results... I would have thought that the larger Dust Deputy would have been better, but it's not working for me... I was thinking about disconnecting the blower on the 735, but thought I would post here before getting into that... Is my setup just wrong...? I'm starting to think that maybe I should have one of the smaller Dust Deputy units connected with 2.5" hose to the Rocker unit and use 2.5/4" adapters... but before I start ordering parts, I thought I would see what everyone here thinks... Ultimate goal is to have the shavings in a container that is easy to empty...

Thoughts...???

IMG_2009.jpg

If you have a leak below the Dust Deputy, very little will be collected in your yellow can.

Leaks on the vacuum side of your dust collection system are hard to find. I use a spray can of smoke alarm tester, sprayed near suspected leak points with the system running. Then watch to see if any of this pseudo smoke is being drawn into the leak. For a good seal between the plastic lid of the bucket and the Dust Deputy, I use some Poly Seam Seal on the mating surface and then bolt the two together. My collection bucket is a metal 20 gal barrel and I made a lid for it from two layers of 3/4 birch cabinet ply. One layer fits snugly inside the barrel, and the top layer is 4" larger in diameter than the first layer. This gives me a 2" overhang. I sealed the two layers together, again using Poly Seam Seal and screws and mounted the Dust Deputy to the top of it, also using Poly Seam Seal. For the gasket between this lid and the barrel, I bought some 1" wide peel and stick closed cell foam Weatherstripping, and applied this to the under side of the larger piece of plywood close to the smaller piece and where the lip of the metal barrel touches it when the lid is installed. This seal worked perfectly the first time, and continues to be in use for the past 4 years with no problems.

Again, a leak below your Dust Deputy will cause the problem that you are having.

Charley

I know I have a good seal on the connection between the DD and the lid... did the same as you did with sealant and bolts... I thought that the lid was tight enough, since it has a clamp that is actually pretty difficult to latch shut, but maybe there are some leaks... I'll have to test that... Do you have a similar setup and use it with the Dewalt 735...? And are you using the blower on the Dewalt...?

JH

I just checked, and my drum has a 3 psi rated seal, if that helps...

JH

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Hood View Post
    Looking for some advice on dust collection for my Dewalt 735 planer... I have tried everything that I have read on here, and on various YouTube vids... My first attempt was to just connect it to my Rockler wall mounted dust collection, running through a Super Dust Deputy... with the Rockler on, virtually -all- the shavings were going right into the bag and none were getting left in the container... then I turned off the vacuum, but was getting the same thing... Using the same setup for my benchtop jointer, the cyclone works as expected (mostly... will get back to that later...) so I started looking around in here and on YouTube... I tried using just the Rockler bag attached to a section of hose, and that works well, but is a hassle to take off, and getting the shavings out is messy and a pain... That's the reason I went with the yellow drum in the first place, as it is really easy to disconnect and dump into a trash bag... Knowing that maybe the blower was the issue, I tried getting a 35 gal trash can, putting a 4" input in the center and a 90 deg elbow at the edge of the lid and attaching the Rockler bag to that with a hose... lid is -really- hard to keep down (had to use bungee cords and a few spring clamps...) but it seemed that a lot of guys were having success with that method... and I put a heavy duty trash can liner in the trash can hoping for a really easy bagging, but for me, NOTHING was going into the trash can, and all just going right into the bag... ???

So I thought maybe I would try the original setup again, but after planing a bunch of pine boards, the yellow container had about 2" of shavings, and the rest were going right through the blower and into the bag... without the Rockler blower turned on...??? This combined with even off my jointer a lot of the shavings don't properly go into the drum and seem to go through the Rockler into the bag seems to make me think the Super Dust Deputy isn't working right... all of the videos I have seen show almost nothing getting past the cyclone...??? Is it maybe that the 6" ports on the SDD are too large for the cyclone to work right with my dust collector blower...???
    One thing that I noticed was that all of the setups that were using a Dust Deputy were using the 2.5" hose smaller white version connected to small buckets... but they were getting great results... I would have thought that the larger Dust Deputy would have been better, but it's not working for me... I was thinking about disconnecting the blower on the 735, but thought I would post here before getting into that... Is my setup just wrong...? I'm starting to think that maybe I should have one of the smaller Dust Deputy units connected with 2.5" hose to the Rocker unit and use 2.5/4" adapters... but before I start ordering parts, I thought I would see what everyone here thinks... Ultimate goal is to have the shavings in a container that is easy to empty...

Thoughts...???

IMG_2009.jpg
    Way, Way too much cyclone for that dust collector!!
    No more than a small 2 1/2" cyclone for that dust collector OR a 3 hp or bigger dust collector for the cyclone you have.
    Cyclones eat a lot of air flow, horse power however you what to label it.
    My recommendation at this point is to go with a small cyclone in place of that large one you have.
    Make plans for in the future to get a bigger, 3hp or bigger dust collector to work with your Super Dust Deputy along with 6 inch piping system.
    YES you do need a tight seal on the waste drum under the cyclone, however that is not your main issue now.
    I have been modifying my dust collection system for 15 years as money allows and made the same mistake of too much cyclone for too little dust collection. I have a 2hp 2 bag and a 3 hp 4 bag puling off of a metal cyclone that I originally bought for the 2 hp system and still not happy(not enough suction at the machines), however I finally got all the dust, chips into the collection box (only time dust goes into bags is when box is full), which is sealed with foam tape and taped shut with 2" masking tape each time.
    Good luck
    Ron

That's what I was thinking... glad to see a confirmation... I don't have much space in the shop (basement...) and do you think that if I would get a small 2.5" DD and put a 4" -> 2.5" adapter on the Rockler dust collector that it would work...? easy enough to get new hoses from Rockler... it would go with the vids that I have watched with others using the Dewalt 735 with a 2.5" hose successfully... I'm guessing that even the smaller new 4" DD might be too big for the Rockler unit...?

Or would it be a better idea to go with the new DD Bagger with the Rockler...? looks like that might be the easiest way to collect the debris...? Anyone using one of those...?

Thanks,

JH

Looks like the DD w/5" openings ? If so , yes you don't have the blower to handle what you put together there . That is a massive amount of flex hose , try to eliminate all you can .That would help . The smaller 4" DD is better suited for that small DC , but again , TOO MUCH FLEX HOSE .

Quote Originally Posted by james manutes View Post
    Looks like the DD w/5" openings ? If so , yes you don't have the blower to handle what you put together there . That is a massive amount of flex hose , try to eliminate all you can .That would help . The smaller 4" DD is better suited for that small DC , but again , TOO MUCH FLEX HOSE .
    You are right... it is the 5" DD.... (thought it was 6", but after checking it is the 5") Would the 4" work, or would it be even better to go to the 2" model for my blower...? Mostly wondering if I drop down to the 2" will the CFM drop so much that it wouldn't work with my jointer and bandsaw... The only things that I use it for are the bandsaw and the jointer, in which both the suction is fine (even though like mentioned before some of the dust/chips get into the filter bag) and the planer... I have a Festool vac that I use for cleaning up and my hand tools, so I don't use it for floor sweeping or anything like that...

Looks like my options might be:

1) Go with the 4" SDD and cut the hose to only be as long as needed to get to the tools (probably about 10') - benefit would be the 4" would be the same size as all existing hoses and fittings (supposedly needs minimum of 350 CFM)
    2) Go with a 2" DD and use a reducer from the 4" duct on the blower to 2.5" hose, and then an adapter to the DD, and then 2.5" hose to the jointer/bandsaw/planer (the bandsaw would need a reducer, since the port is 4") (rated at minimum 50 CFM)

With either one I will probably get one of the Oneida drums since the lid on this one will be toast...

Recommendations on which direction to go...? In looking at the prices, and the difference isn't a problem.. I just don't want to try one and have to do this all over again... really don't want to get another blower, since I am very space limited and really don't need it for what I do and this one is in good working condition...

And one more question... If the blower is rated at 650 CFM, and knowing that will most likely no more than half of that usable with the expandable hose that I have, would it be better to go with the smaller one...?

(and if anyone near Lancaster PA wants the existing drum and SDD, just let me know... I'm not going to be using it...)

Thanks,

JH

The blower on the DW 735 is simply over powering the blower on your dust collection system. Without upgrading you may want to just use a 55 gallon trash can with this connected. WORX WA4054.2 LeafPro Universal Leaf Collection System available on Amazon. This is what I had to do.
    Use an additional ratchet strap around the can to hold the WORXs down or the DW735 will blow it off too.

I agree - the DW735 ejects chips like a jet engine and that could be part of the issue. Also there is definitely a miss-match between your blower and dust deputy. I do not think your blower is able to provide enough air flow for that cyclone. I went straight from using a shop vac, which was a joke for dust collection, to a cyclone that is way oversized for my shop. Boy, was it worth it!

SB

FWIW... I have a Delta 50-760 1.5 hp dust collector. Originally, I had a Thien baffle on top of a ~20 gallon tin can, and last year moved to a 4" SDD with the small fiber drum.

With my setup, about the only complaint I have with the DW 735 is that it fills up the (very small) drum too quickly, and I need to cobble together an easier way to raise/lower the drum to facilitate emptying the drum sooner - so I don't get blow by into the filter and the lower plastic bag of the 50-760. Usually by that point, the drum is somewhere around 90+% full, and packed.

The 50-760 probably has a bit more air flow than the blower you have to begin with, and then with the length of hose between the blower and the cyclone giving you even more losses... you probably could get the 5" SDD to work better if you had that blower mounted almost on top of the cyclone.

I had a DW735, initially connected to a super dust deputy XL, going into a Yellow bin that looks identical to yours.

On the back end I had/have a 1.5 Jet DC with a canister filter.

I found using the yellow bin, it would fill too quickly, so swapped it out for a 55 gallon drum.

I use Home Depot 39 gallon Contractor bags in the drum.

I planed about 700 bd/ft of wide lumber through the Dewalt and had no issue with shaving/dust separation.

I think you must have a leak somewhere, either on the Dust deputy or the yellow bin.

My setup on the back end, not shown in the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uno6lY117EM

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Merrill View Post
    The blower on the DW 735 is simply over powering the blower on your dust collection system.
    I agree. That planer has a very powerful blower in it.

That said, I have a little Dust Deputy affixed to a 5-gal bucket, running to my Ridgid vac with 2-1/2" hose. I have a DW735, only plane about 1/32" at a time, but all the shavings go into the bucket. Fast.

So there is verification that it works...

I'm leaning heavily to the smaller DD on a 35 gal bin attached to either my Rigid vac or my quieter Festool CT26... and get rid of the larger wall mounted blower...

That doesn't make sense to me, the faster you get air flowing or volume of air, coming through the dust deputy, the more it should drop the debris out of suspension into the first stage collector bin.

The blower on the 735 helps.

Still think you have a leak below the bottom of the dust deputy.

I would drop the Yellow bin and as much of the dust deputy, as possible, in a large lawn and leaf bag. Seal the top of the bag around the dust deputy with lots of duct tape and try it again. If you have a leak, you'll see the bah getting sucked in. In theory, you don't even need to cut wood to test this.