While I know we have a CNC forum and laser engraver forums, this is a more general set of questions (and there is not a General numerical control doo-dad forum)

I got pulled into teaching some summer classes(which I don't normally teach), and want to blow my windfall on something fun.
I had toyed with upgrading my Jet 14" bandsaw to a Grizzly 17" G0513X2BF, or my Jet drill to one of the Nova DVR drill presses, but got to thinking that was just incremental improvements on capabilities I already had.

That led me to think about a CNC router set up (perhaps something like a Shapeoko Pro (but I have no idea of the range of options and manufacturers)). Then I though should I look at something smaller and cheaper to dip my toe in and figure out whether I have a use case (i.e. does it amuse me enough to play with ) or is it something that will sit idle. There is the Sainsmart 3018 Prover that shows up on YouTube a bit. I know it would have limitations but it seems to be a tenth of the cost of the Shapeoko Pro. It does also have the option of a Diode Laser bundle.

My brother, who with my nephew, has built up some 3D printers, suggests I just build one from scratch. This is perfectly doable for me, since I built laser systems and control electronics when I was in graduate school (I was even the machine shop TA for the chemistry department for a while). But I think I want to get to trying the making part sooner.

A couple of questions:
- What do folks use there CNC routers to make? Same questions for the laser systems?
- What would be a good system to start in to play around in the CNC space? Will I be annoyed with the limitations of the 3018 Prover, or will it help me understand the field so I can make a better informed choices when I get the next system (if I like playing in this space)

One application I have thought of is some engraving in wood. I missed out on some of my Patent plaques as I changed jobs, and would like to try to make the ones I am missing. Not sure if this would be better via mechanical engraving or laser engraving. Another application might be making storage of various ilk for tools (racks, stands, boxes etc). Maybe even cutting foam for 5S storage of tools.

Any wisdom folks would care to share?

Thanks

John