Thread: Looking for Advice on a Sliding Table saw

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    If you think that an Excalibur is accurate you need to try out a real slider. It will truly "knock your socks off".
    Actually, I have tried a real slider and that's why I make the claim (and my socks are still on). I've cut out whole kitchens on my set up and when checking the diagonals on the panels, using the same tape measure, the difference in the diagonal readings were between 0 and 1/32", which makes the panels at or less than 1/64" out of square, even 2' by 7.5' pantry side panels. To me, that's pretty accurate. I've only used European sliding table saws in the past. How much more accurate do you think they are going to be? Do you think an Asian import slider is going to be more accurate than 0 - 1/64" out of square?

I am not suggesting that one shouldn't buy a dedicated sliding table saw. They are terrific machines, especially if you have the room for an 8 - 10' slider. But for a "short stroke" slider, your choices are limited. When combining the safety and precision of a Sawstop, along with the accuracy of a dedicated sliding table saw at a fraction of the cost and having the support and service from the people at Sawstop made this an easy choice. My set up has seen a lot of use over the years and is as accurate today as it was "out of the box". But as some here have suggested, I guess it depends on your definition of accurate, socks or no socks.
    Last edited by Rob Sack; 12-08-2020 at 12:59 PM.