Thread: A used machine shipping nightmare

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    First off, sorry this has happened to you.

Second; I have shipped a lot of machinery to and from a lot of places, so i do have some experience in this stuff.

This has been my experience;

everyone is nice until something goes wrong, when you call on them to take responsibility, they usually will slam the door in your face. One will send you to the other etc.
    Your claim should be against the one that you hired, not the one that they hired.
    They do not want to deal with it.
    They will not willingly pay for it.
    They will deny and delay and hope that you go away.
    If you fill out a claim against them they will drag it out for a year.
    If you hire a lawyer , they will fight you and delay for months, and will finally make an offer to settle prior to the court date.
    They will offer you a lot less than the value of the machine, but will offer to pay your lawyers fees, that puts your lawyer on their side in convincing you to settle.
    They will probably offer that you keep the machine and accept a smaller amount of money rather than giving you enough to replace the machine and taking the damaged one.
    In the meantime you have waited a year with a junked machine and had a lot of stress to deal with.

The bigger the company the better they are at playing the game.

The people that work the claims departments are most likely rewarded based on how much they save the company.

Smaller companies will judge how serious you are about prosecuting them and weigh their options and may settle faster.

It will depend a lot on the value of the machine.
    It will go a lot easier if its a $2000 machine then if its a $20,000 machine.
    Basic insurance coverage for freight is $2;00 per pound. Unless you paid for extra insurance.
    If you don't get any satisfaction soon, get a lawyer or take them to small claims court. Sometimes just the threat of that will make them move, but expect to have to take it to court.

Welcome to my world.

Good luck.

Buckle-up.
    Last edited by Mark Hennebury; 06-17-2020 at 11:25 AM.