Thread: Toothed vs. scrub

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Toothed vs. scrub

Guys,

at last my wife is back from her vacations and brought me my extra Lee Nielsen irons for my Jack plane.

I already had the regular iron (25 degrees) and the scrapping iron (90 degrees) and now I received a toothed and a couple of extra regular blades. My idea is to take both extra regular blades and microbevel them at 30-35 degrees and one of them to round the edge in order to transform my Jack plane in a scrub plane.

Today I tested the toothed blade: it works very well but I had the sensation of imminence to get one of the teeth broken constantly. They look so fragile...

I have the intention to work manually my unsquared lumber one of the faces with Jack plane to prepare the piece to run thru my lunchbox planner. I need a robust and reliable tool for that as usually our local woods are hard and, of course, I do not have intention to spend a lifetime preparing the piece to run thru my power plane.

Question: from your experience, what is more productive in that scenario, a Jack plane with a toothed blade or a scrub iron at 35 degrees in my Jack plane (12 degrees frog)?

Thanks in advance for your usual sound advice!
    Last edited by Osvaldo Cristo; 06-21-2019 at 2:53 PM. Reason: Typo as usual
    All the best.

Osvaldo.