There is something about a sharpening thread to which everyone feels compelled to contribute. Young and old, amateur and professional, newbie and experienced. And no one seems to read what others have written - they are in too much of a rush to put their thoughts down for others to read and applaud.

When it appears that The Post (the profound reply) fails to gain a response (because no one has read it since they are instead too busy writing their reply), we finally take time out to read what others have written. At this stage it is All or Nothing … either others re-write what I have written (in other words, agree with me), or they are clearly too inexperienced and have missed the profundity of my insights. WHAT is so hard about understanding that my way will save you YEARS of unnecessary experimentation and expense?!

Thank God that we are all different. It is not that we would end up bored senseless or have little to discuss (constant agreement is not a conversation), but learning requires bouncing ideas off one another. Ah, but this seems more often forgotten in a sharpening thread.

The endless sharpening threads are doomed to perpetual repetition and revolving, repeated statements since there cannot be universal agreement. It is impossible since sharpening has as many methods as Patrick has sharpening stones. That fundamental factor escapes all in the passion of the moment.

The thread finally loses energy after everyone has repeated themselves several times, or a moderator decides that what little debate there was has been replaced by too many slanderous remarks … and the thread is closed.

Of course, since this cannot bring closure, it is doomed to be repeated the next time someone asks, “Should I use waterstones or ….?”

Regards from Auckland (leaving tomorrow)

Derek