Thread: Beware of Poor Electrical Advice

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Red face Beware of Poor Electrical Advice

I just read some weekly e-tips from a Woodworking magazine /website and I'm quite disappointed in one of the tips offered. I wrote to the publisher, but do not expect a correction or feedback from them since they were not smart enough to avoid the subject matter to begin with. This particular tip concerned using a "smart strip" to start a router AND a shop vac at the same time. If you have not encountered this before, a "smart strip" looks like a standard power strip but there is a master outlet and a few "slave " outlets. Power is sent to the slave outlets when you turn on the device that is plugged into the master. Convenient for gear with a low amp draw not adding up to the total strip capacity of 15A.

In this "quick tip" there was no mention of Amp draw or checking your devices and adding them up to see if the strip was made to handle this. All the information should be readily available on the manufacturer's plate on the tools and also molded into the strip itself. The two "smart strips" that I checked on were both rated 15 Amps. This strip might work for some cases, but it seems likely that, in most cases, the 15A rating would be surpassed by the cumulative ratings of tool and shop vac. A p-c 690, for example, is shown to pull 11A and many shop vacs pull 10-12A. The amp draw would be 22A for these two devices going through a "smart strip" rated for 15A. I suggest this is not smart at all. Several scenarios are possible: at least one could easily burn the power strip you just paid $20 for, or you could simultaneously damage the motors on the shop vac and the router and realize ten times that dollar amount in loss. If you are lucky, the circuit breaker would trip first. Don't rely on luck when it comes to electricity!

I caution against piecemeal electrical advice for the "devil's in the details". All of the electrical information is readily available to you; you just need to be curious enough to find it. I use a convenience that works for me in my shop, but this may not work for many others. I plug my 1 hp dust collector into a remote-controlled outlet and clip the remote to a belt loop. I found a remote controlled outdoor outlet (think Christmas lights) with an Amp rating high enough to handle the dust collector amp draw but beware many such devices are only rated for half that! I have the outlet plugged into a different circuit than any of the stationary power tools so the 20A circuit rating is not surpassed with tool and vac both on. Additionally, I have read articles where some enterprising woodworkers use such a remote to flip a larger magnetic switch that can handle the amp draw of a large dust collector. That costs a few $$, but is a safe bet.

When I built the shop, I ran two different circuits into many of the 4-square boxes so that I have duplex outlets side-by-side powered by different circuits. The same end can be accomplished by running a short extension cord from a different circuit to the tool or the shop vac, whichever is easier. Just be sure the cord is rated to handle the amp draw and allow for amp drop if you use a long cord (not recommended). I keep a 15 ft. 12/3 cord handy for saws, as well as a couple of 15 ft. 14/3 cords for sanders, etc.

Again, everything is labeled, just use the information and your head (or calculator). Above all, be safe having fun!
    Last edited by Dennis McCullen; 03-16-2018 at 7:45 AM.