Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hennebury View Post
The only difference is either you lower the stock vertically the half inch or you push it horizontally . You still rely on the stops. You can use the same fences and pushsticks on either setup, the resulting cut quality and speed are identical.
Mark, not sure I am following your method here but I think you are using the back stop and easing the stock into the cutter? If so I disagree that is a safe method and still prone to kick back. Experienced hands can get away with it most of the time but not a good method for beginners.

The safest way to do this on a shaper is to make sure the stock is resting front and back on the fence and stop before easing into the cutter. It can be done on a table saw but a little more awkward.

This picture is from a German shop I visited last year. You can see he rested the front of the piece against the fence while easing the back in using the wide backstop.
B06331B0-952E-4649-A57D-C6745D2695B4.jpg

We use use the same method in our shaper workshops for beginners. These cuts can be a little tense if not used to shapers and I have them use a push stick sometimes depending on the workpiece size. Both photos using Aigner accessories but the same can be accomplished with shop made fixtures.
A544EB5E-CD37-45D6-8A97-7318A9AE6EE3.jpg