I bought all my new power tools awhile ago to start my woodshop, but sort of left dust collection out of the picture. The reason I haven't used the tools yet is because I did things in an odd order and decided to insulate the shop after buying the tools, and I still haven't touched the planer or jointer (planer is still in packaging 2 months after I bought it). I have used my table saw a lot, and used the bandsaw and miter saw a decent amount of times. Typically for these tools I use my shop vac, which is suitable for these because these don't produce heavy chip flow. However, it's still not the best, and for my 15" spiral head planer, it's not gonna seal the deal.

I know little to none about dust collection, so I need some advice. I pretty much need something suitable for my 15" spiral head planer which will produce the heaviest chip flow. People have also said stuff about better bags and some kind of cyclone separator. I've also heard people mention buying a cheap Harbor Freight one that they did heavy mods to, and while I'm religiously against shopping at harbor freight, this would be my one exception if necessary. Does anyone have any advice on how to do this cheaply and properly?