In advance of a hand tool joinery class, I will be expected to use and sharpen chisels.

No problem with bench chisels, I have taken a sharpening class and bench chisels fit nicely into my Veritas MKII honing guide.

But to my surprise, a mortise chisel is too thick to fit into the MKII. So I got out my old school silver single wheel honing guide, you know the one with the notches for the sides of chisels. But those notches get in the way of the thick sides of a mortise chisel. I saw a video on how to file those sides down to accommodate a mortise chisel, but I am reluctant to do that, when a good commercial version might be out there.

I have briefly looked at Richard Kell's honing guide and I think it is the number 3 that might work, but before I plop down $80 for this rascal which will not be used as much as the MKII guide, I wanted some opinions here.

Oh, two last points--First, I am not terribly good at free handing chisels and planes edges. They often end up un-square, and the mortise chisel is so long and so heavy that free handing that monster on a water stone did not work very well. Second, I do not own mechanical sharpeners, like a Tormek, and $800-$1,200 for one seems a little much for me. So I think I need a honing guide.

Thanks in advance for all who respond.