Thread: "Absolute wealth of techniques in this video for any project."

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

"Absolute wealth of techniques in this video for any project."

The title is a comment made by one of the video viewers:

https://youtu.be/CP36Rp18ovA?t=3m17s

Simon

Wow...that was painful. I stopped at the bridle joints

My heart was in my mouth as he cut those on the tablesaw.

This type of video should be a lesson in how never to do woodworking! Dangerous and seriously lacking in skills.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    I struggled to make it past the initial effort to purposely cause kickback by running un-milled material across a tablesaw. Please . . . use a bandsaw for ripping unprepared stock.

I did bookmark it to share with anyone asking about how to cause an "accident" in the shop.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 03-06-2018 at 8:39 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

[QUOTE=glenn bradley;2785856]

I cringed at holding small blocks by hand at the drill press.

[QUOTE=John K Jordan;2785871]
    Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post

I cringed at holding small blocks by hand at the drill press.
    Using a Forstner bit no less. Yikes

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I struggled to make it past the initial effort to purposely cause kickback by running un-milled material across a tablesaw. Please . . . use a bandsaw for ripping unprepared stock.

I did bookmark it to share with anyone asking about how to cause an "accident" in the shop.
    Judging from his shop behavior with other power tools, wouldn't you think he would use a bandsaw in a way that we will never try?

Simon

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    Judging from his shop behavior with other power tools, wouldn't you think he would use a bandsaw in a way that we will never try?

Simon
    Baaah-haaa-haaa-haaa!
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

When the rock throwers have finished, maybe you could all explain how come this guy has all of his fingers.

Don't watch his video on kickback. You'll be less clear on that..

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hennebury View Post
    When the rock throwers have finished, maybe you could all explain how come this guy has all of his fingers.
    You serious, Mark after all this "statistics does not apply to an individual" thing?

Not every Russian Roulette kills in the first shot.

Simon

Simon,
    I too have worked decades in a similar fashion and i too have all of my fingers, not bragging just stating a fact. That makes at least two of us that apparently defy the laws of nature.

According to your responses, this way of working is guaranteed to cause loss of fingers. You were all quite clear on that point.

So you can play games, make your jokes and deflect and change the subject but you cannot answer that question without it conflicting with your logic, so i don't expect any will answer directly.

You cannot explain how someone acting in such a "Recklessly Dangerous" manner can survive a day in the workshop without a serious accident, let alone decades it is just not feasible, it defies logic and the laws of nature....unless you are wrong.
    So i don't expect you to answer the question.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hennebury View Post
    Simon,
    I too have worked decades in a similar fashion and i too have all of my fingers, not bragging just stating a fact. That makes at least two of us that apparently defy the laws of nature.

According to your responses, this way of working is guaranteed to cause loss of fingers. You were all quite clear on that point.

His way of working is guaranteed to cause an injury or two (it could be a finger loss, a kickback, etc.), but not necessarily to him or to any particular person. That is what statistics is about.

It is no different from the fact that smoking will cause lung cancer, but not to every smoker or any particular smoker. My uncle is turning 93 this month and he was a smoker (he stopped about 30 years ago after close to 45 years of smoking). My mom-in-law was not a smoker but she died of lung cancer.

You and he are not defying the laws of nature. You both are increasing your chances of getting hurt.

Simon

Mark Hennebury wrote:"You cannot explain how someone acting in such a "Recklessly Dangerous" manner can survive a day in the workshop without a serious accident, let alone decades it is just not feasible, it defies logic and the laws of nature....unless you are wrong.
    So i don't expect you to answer the question."

Mark,

I am happy to exceed your expectation that nobody will answer directly. Here is a direct answer. I take safety very seriously, having injured myself twice because of my cowboy attitude -- . Simon MacGowan referred to Russian Roulette, Roulette and games of chance are actually a decent metaphor. We all have a chance of injury every time we use a tool, drive a car, etc. The objective is to control the odds in our favor (1) by arranging our shops in a safe manner, e.g., good lighting, no slippery trippery things on the floor, etc (strategy) and (2) by using properly equipped tools in a safe manner (tactics). Of course you can do dangerous things without being injured, but why not work safely to reduce the odds that your number will come up?

Your argument that you and lots of other cowboy woodworkers violate the rules without injury demonstrates a serious lack of understanding of statistics and probability. You might have heard that flipping a "head" on a coin flip -- or even flipping three or five or ten heads in a row tells you NOTHING about the next coin flip. Furthermore, changes in safety strategy changes the odds tremendously.

[I am reminded] of the story about the thanksgiving turkey. He was having a chat with the other turkeys in the flock. He was saying that humans are great. They must love turkeys because they feed them, water them, house them, keep them safe from coyotes. What a great deal. He and his turkey friends had many days of experience to prove their point. Then, one day in late October, the strategic environment changed and his predictions turned out to be tragically false. He was using the past to predict the future without really understanding the environment he was working in.

Doug.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 03-10-2018 at 6:27 AM. Reason: inflammatory comments removed.

Hi Doug,

I too take my safety very seriously.
    Russian Roulette does not apply to this at all; Russian roulette is a game of chance, your knowledge or planning or how you play has absolutely no bearing on the outcome.
    I don't play games.
    My work is not about chance. It is based on knowledge and planning.
    I work very safely.

The turkey in your story is much like the guy playing Russian roulette in Simons story; has no control over the outcome.

And if i teach someone to work like me they too will do nice work, and learn to understand their machines, and will learn to work on them with respect not fear, and at the end of the day they will still be able count to ten.

There was once a foreman in a shop that i once worked, criticized the way that i used the jointer, he could count to all the way up to nine and a half.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 03-10-2018 at 6:29 AM. Reason: lets' avoid any name calling.....