Thread: Justifying A Major Tool Purchase

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    Julie, I've been wondering how it's going. Any progress on the alignment?
    +1 Every time I see the thread bumped I am hoping to hear angels singing about jointing perfection. It is almost as painful to watch someone go through this than it is to go through it myself.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Just curious also as I have mine set up, but am waiting for a power cord to arrive on Wednesday.

My security camera captured a bit of video of it being delivered and my Son and I getting it off the palette.

I also received the dial depth gauge today.

I know my in feed table is .005 out of alignment to the out feed. I'll probably spend most of tomorrow going through the adjustment manual.

I did make a little jig to align the rear fence bar setup easier. I cut a strip of wood 17mm thick and attached it to some plywood, clamped it to the table and then tightened up the fence rail.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    I know my in feed table is .005 out of alignment to the out feed. I'll probably spend most of tomorrow going through the adjustment manual.
    You have an adjustment manual??? If so, please share it! I've given up on Felder coming up with one.

Dan, no, nothing has changed. I don't want to experiment and find myself in a place I can't return from. I need to find Bill's thread again and follow that, when I have time. Right now I'm immersed in a project that should cover the cost of the JP and it's become a full time job and then some.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Adjustment Manual

Sorry Julie, thought I'd sent you that one, maybe I got it later than the others.

Anyway, I just emailed it to you.

If anyone wants the .pdf manuals that I have, pm me your email address and I'll send them on.

I've haven't powered up the machine yet, but first check of the tables and cutter head, it appears that it was delivered setup with less than .001" variance across the width of the table.

Mine is still sitting in the garage on the pallet. Need to make the mobile base before I can attempt to figure out how to get it onto it. Was thinking about using an engine hoist.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    Mine is still sitting in the garage on the pallet. Need to make the mobile base before I can attempt to figure out how to get it onto it. Was thinking about using an engine hoist.
    Ben, I would use the factory mobility kit, or if it moves in the wrong plane, I would drill new axle holes.

That way you don't have to lift it, just pry it up an inch with a bar, put a block of wood under and put the mobility kit on.........Rod.

I originally bought the Hammer Mobility Kit, but for my limited space, I like to store my tools with the narrow side closest to the wall, so I cancelled the mobile base. I didn't think moving the unit broadside would be all that convenient. As you can see in the video, below, I would not hav been able to move the unit between my bench and table saw with the Hammer mobility kit.

I bought the Bora Portamate 3500 ($129) from Amazon versus $200 for the Hammer Kit.

I placed a piece of 3/4" plywood on the Portamate before putting the A3-31 on it. It didn't really need it, but I did it anyway.

I have a smooth garage floor and the unit is very maneuverable.

Last edited by ChrisA Edwards; 10-17-2018 at 10:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Ben, I would use the factory mobility kit, or if it moves in the wrong plane, I would drill new axle holes.

That way you don't have to lift it, just pry it up an inch with a bar, put a block of wood under and put the mobility kit on.........Rod.
    I dont like the factory mobility kit offered by Hammer at all. I built a MUCH nicer option for my N4400 and am doing the same for the A3-31. I need the ability to turn/move/rotate at any angle in my shop and I also like having the height of the tables raised. This is what Ive designed and will be building for the A3-31:

Hammer A3-31 Mobile Base w Levelers 2.jpg
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    I dont like the factory mobility kit offered by Hammer at all. I built a MUCH nicer option for my N4400 and am doing the same for the A3-31. I need the ability to turn/move/rotate at any angle in my shop and I also like having the height of the tables raised. This is what Ive designed and will be building for the A3-31:

Hammer A3-31 Mobile Base w Levelers 2.jpg
    I'm with you, that's the style I build as well. My shop is really small so I sometimes have to plane long items by shooting it out the door, but the best position for the planer is elsewhere otherwise and it's easy to spin it on a dime after moving it. I make sure at least two have locks on them too!

Got my extension cord from Amazon, so it was time to test the new toy (A3-31). I checked the machine and mobile base with an electrical tester to make sure my wiring was good and the whole machine wasn't live with current.

I ordered a couple of fence attachment bars, so I could mount an outfield extension to the planer and jointer. Mounting them with my little wooden jig took a couple of minutes.

Then it was time to make some wood chips. So far I'm extremely pleased with the machine, although I've only used the jointer function.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    +1 Every time I see the thread bumped I am hoping to hear angels singing about jointing perfection. It is almost as painful to watch someone go through this than it is to go through it myself.
    Van,
    Can you hear the angles now? I purchased a lightly used A3 41 at the same time as Julie. It is a replacement for a 45 year old Makita 2030 (6" Jointer-12" Planner). I went through a lot of unnecessary pain in tuning my machine, all due to the extreme lack of documentation from Felder/Hammer. Thanks to all the folks here at SMC who chipped in with advice/documents and to Julie's Hammer Rep who finally came up with real setup docs I have my J/P setup properly, have processed a couple hundred BF of walnut and maple and the A3 41 has more than met my expectations.

These J/Ps with the segmented heads are something really special and I now have absolutely no regrets.

Regards - Bill

Chris, be honest that is just footage played in reverse of you and your son stealing one... I gotta admit repacking the J/P and having your accomplish show up dressed as a delivery driver really sells the heist!

Bill, I can hear your angel singing but we need Julie's singing also to get perfect harmony.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Not sure about Julie but I’ve still not tackled mine. Hurricane Michael threw me off schedule the last week. No damage but we spent a week prepping and cleaning up afterwards regardless. I did finish up my loft bed stair project so I’m ready to get back to the J/P now. Hope to get it sorted out one night this week or the coming weekend.