Thread: Milling machine as a mortiser

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Chris, that is my concern. I think the quill is strong enough, but the morse taper is not designed for lateral forces, and will drop out. At the same time I wonder if technique can overcome this - for example, plunging down along the mortice, and only cleaning up when there is minimal material to remove?

Note that I am not considering the drill press as a mill (such as levelling metals), but rather to "mill", that is, clean out the wooden waste in mortises.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I use the mill on wood from time to time. Works quite fine. (also use the metal lathe with wood from time to time). The limitation is the vertical work and since a lot of mortising is on the end of a piece it may be limiting in this.

The sawdust does soak up the way oil - I just clean up and reoil afterwards. Not a production shop so am not worried about wear.
    Last edited by Carl Beckett; 04-13-2024 at 7:31 AM.

Blog Entries
    Howdy Derek, I wouldn’t do it with the drill press, the Morse taper is one thing but the taper into the top of the chuck is also very short. Drill chucks also complain a lot about being used in this fashion.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Chris, that is my concern. I think the quill is strong enough, but the morse taper is not designed for lateral forces, and will drop out.
    Regards from Perth

Derek
    I had a MT chuck fall out of the quill while side milling on a DP. It got very exciting very quickly.
    Please help support the Creek.

"The older I get, the better I used to be."
    Lee Trevino

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Chris, that is my concern. I think the quill is strong enough, but the morse taper is not designed for lateral forces, and will drop out. At the same time I wonder if technique can overcome this - for example, plunging down along the mortice, and only cleaning up when there is minimal material to remove?

Note that I am not considering the drill press as a mill (such as levelling metals), but rather to "mill", that is, clean out the wooden waste in mortises.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Derek, have you considered getting the slot mortising attachment for the Hammer A3-31? A possible solution for what you're trying to do.

Clint