Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
While batteries "generally" have a 3-5 year lifespan, I've seen many folks talk about situations where they got much longer. The battery in the MY12 Grand Cherokee I owned was actually still fine at about 7 years, but I elected to replace it proactively at that point. I'm pretty sure that the fact that it lives inside the cabin on the JGC certainly didn't hurt the longevity. I only got three years out of the OEM battery on the MY19 Ascent and grabbed a new one from Costco with a little better spec. I'm actually surprised the battery in my Kubota tractor lasts as long as it does...I think I've replaced it maybe three times in 20 years.

Now tires...this is something that someone owning a vehicle for a long time and not putting miles on it has to pay attention to. Tires can become degraded after about five years or so after date of manufacture. For safety reasons, one sometimes has to replace them even if they are not significantly worn. Dry rot, etc, can cause poor handling and blowouts. The rule of thumb for trailers is five years and replace so serious consideration of that should be in play for a truck or car, too.
I've seen 'talk' that Pennsylvania is considering making tire age an inspection item. Don't know what there's to it. The OEM battery in my 2001 Ranger went about 10 years. No replacement has done as well. When I install or remove the battery I put a light coating of grease on the terminals. No special grease, just wheel bearing grease. Keeps the terminals nice and clean, no corrosion.