Thread: Tips from a Shipwright -- Check this guy out!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Loved watching the first episode and will definitely be watching the whole series. I just today finished calibrating my new slider and found it comical that I spent hours upon hours getting every adjustment to the millimeter on the fence, blade angles, support table alignment etc and this consummate pro just slaps on a foot long piece of angle iron with a C clamp for his fence and goes to town.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Shewmake View Post
    .... and this consummate pro just slaps on a foot long piece of angle iron with a C clamp for his fence and goes to town.
    Exactly!
    Watching Paul Sellers is a similar experience and there are thousands of others out there doing amazing work with primative tools.

One thing is for certain, it ain't the tools that make the piece, it's the crafter.

The power planer market definitely owes him a great debt, no one has ever tried to use the power planer half as much as he does.

Quote Originally Posted by keith micinski View Post
    The power planer market definitely owes him a great debt, no one has ever tried to use the power planer half as much as he does.
    Which proves the point of the value of his knowledge.

Whatever gets you from point A to point B without sacrificing quality.

It's not at all about old school, it's about school. He has learned from his teachers, and now he is teaching.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    Which proves the point of the value of his knowledge.

Whatever gets you from point A to point B without sacrificing quality.

It's not at all about old school, it's about school. He has learned from his teachers, and now he is teaching.

My motto: "Knowledge not shared is lost." It's why I started volunteering to teach boatbuilding and why I post on this site. Whatever knowledge you have- share it.

Awesome. As I wind down my working life, I'll be doing the same.

I became a couch potato this weekend and watched the entire thing. Great shows. It gets me to wanting to build this boat and I do not need it.