Thread: Mask for Jigsaw Puzzles

Mask for Jigsaw Puzzles

A new member here, great info and help. I am in the screen printing, embroidery and sign and banner business. I guess it seemed natural the next thing was a laser engraver. I have a BrightStar 60 watt, yes it is a Chinese made laser. So far no complaints. We have done a variety of jobs in the 3 months we have had it, and it has added another dimension to our shop.

Sorry for the rambling. I am looking for a pattern or if you will a mask for jigsaw puzzles. What I want to do is to print photos and laminate them, apply to mat board and laser cut the puzzle.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Dave

Check out this thread and look for the file Joe posted

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ghlight=puzzle
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Welcome to SMC.

If you need to find something just do a search from the menu bar.

Here's a file.

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.p...=jigsaw+puzzle
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I do a lot of puzzles similar to that, but the printed vinyl on acrylic. My customer specifies the number of pieces so I have been hand drawing the pieces in Corel with the smartdraw tool.

There is software that does puzzle pieces like this one, but they often use odd formats like EMF for the vector file and don't have much flexibility.

http://www.tibosoftware.com/jigsaw-puzzle.htm

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Thanks guy for the help. Joe, I do like the idea of the printed vinyl on acrylic. We have a Roland printer, I think I will give it a try.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David H. Mitchell View Post
    Thanks guy for the help. Joe, I do like the idea of the printed vinyl on acrylic. We have a Roland printer, I think I will give it a try.

Dave
    Be careful, make sure there are no sharply pointed bits on the pieces in the design, because acrylic can poke. I normally use the extruded (cheaper) 1/8" clear.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

I am not laser lieterate, but there is a program to make jigsaw puzzles out of jpgs. Would this be of use?

I doubt it, because it's probably something that adds the pieces as lines that have to be cut by hand (scroll saw). If it can export the puzzle piece shapes as vector files such as .ai, .eps., .dxf. .dwg then it could work.

Sammamish, WA

David

I use Jigsaw Puzzle Creator by Oberon (Google it). It is made as a CorelDraw macro. You can try it free for seven days. Works for any size puzzle.
    Duane
    Suquamish, WA
    Epilog Legend 36EXT 75 Watt
    CorelDraw 2.0 thru X7

10. Yes it's a good macro and easy to use. Worth the investment if you do a lot of jigsaw's
    David Griffiths
    45W Epilog Helix 610 x 450
    CDR X4
    Vista

Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it