Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Record

New Record

I have no idea if anyone called this out already, but the system says a new record for number of simultaneous viewers at SMC was recently hit:

"Most users ever online was 537, 03-07-2006 at 2:08 PM."

Which is interesting considering it was a Tuesday afternoon!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    I spoted that about a week ago and thought it was interesting that it happend on a Tuesday. It must have been a slow woodworking day...
    Please help support the Creek.

"The older I get, the better I used to be."
    Lee Trevino

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page
    It must have been a slow woodworking day...
    I was thinking something similar, although the next to last word didn't include "wood" in it...
    --

The traffic is definately climbing upward. I hope to be able to find the time late next week to get another server ready. Aaron is on travel this week however we discussed adding another machine to handle the database and keep the web serving on the existing server. We still have to resolve the problem with the eithernet card.

We have been moving up in the Alexa ratings since last fall and we have gone way past WoodCraft, Grizzly and all of the other Woodworking Forums except WoodNet. I believe we are rated at 16,100 these days, up from 27,600 in December. The numbers are just amazing !

Jim - Wasn't March 7th about the time that The Oak fell over and we got a blast of new sign ups? Might be the reason.
    Only the Blue Roads

Whatever the reason, or reasons, it validates my opinion that this is the best site on-line. But, I gotta' tell ya', if I don't get a faster connection, I'm gonna' go crazy trying to read everything. There's a whole lot of info here.

John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

Quote Originally Posted by John Bailey
    But, I gotta' tell ya', if I don't get a faster connection, I'm gonna' go crazy trying to read everything. There's a whole lot of info here.
    A faster connection can only deliver the information more expediently...you'll also have to read it faster!!
    --

Can I connect a T-1 line to my brain?

John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten
    The traffic is definately climbing upward. I hope to be able to find the time late next week to get another server ready. Aaron is on travel this week however we discussed adding another machine to handle the database and keep the web serving on the existing server. We still have to resolve the problem with the eithernet card.

Even though I know nothing about these things I'm gonna offer a question/solution re: the server.....is it possible to use SMC members idle computers to increase server capacity? Kinda like the SETI project.....if there are members with an extra computer and broadband connection can they be linked to SMC? I know this is a stretch but just thought I'd ask....maybe a "Shop Tour" catagory could be offered this way.

While I'm at it....can we get a catagory for "Project Plans"....members with time and inclination to put up CAD drawings and cutlists for their various projects....I know I could go out and buy those programs to do it myself but the problem is in actually learning to use it...usually I can't.....maybe include it in the design forum?

How about a "Trade for Services" area...Like, I need this service and can offer something else in return....."I need an axle for a motorcycle replaced and have a bowl gouge to trade", something like that

Anyway, just thinking out loud
    Regards,
    Greg

Just to review where we are in time and our current performance status as I understand it, below is our short list of projects;

1. Aaron has already planned to add another server and has plans to install either one or two new eithernet cards in the machine we are using now. Distributing the load between two machines will increase performance when the database and web serving are served via two machines. I have a machine in my workshop office that will be perfect for the database, the time required to setup the machine is the only downside, Aaron will have to find the time to install Linux and configure the server.

2. We expect to see fiber optic Internet access in our area some time this fall, this would provide an almost unlimited amount of bandwidth and allow us to grow beyond the limits of a cable connection. Currently we don't believe our internet connection is a problem, there is no evidence that we are saturating our pipe at this time.

3. The Shop Tours module, when it is made available, will grow quickly so we must be ready to add bandwidth to keep the performance of the Creek from being drained. The data transfer will most assuredly meet or exceed our current demand so we will either have to wait for a fiber pipe or plan to add another cable connection and load balance our servers across both connections. Adding another cable connection will lock us into another one year contract, moving to fiber would than be delayed further.

Greg brings some good thoughts to the mix, we do expect to expand our Forums in the future adding new services and extending our capabilities. It is feasible to add some kind of project plans module, trading post and a whole host of data services that would benefit our community. This could include access to those who could provide services such as CAD, project design and engineering support, etc.

For now we are concentrating on the near term issues and just thinking about how we could fund large projects and the bandwidth / programming costs.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten
    Just to review where we are in time and our current performance status as I understand it, below is our short list of projects;
    Sounds exciting!
    Please help support the Creek.

"The older I get, the better I used to be."
    Lee Trevino

We have a new "high"...

Most users ever online was 663, 04-24-2006 at 9:20 PM.

Thanks for the update Keith. The plans sound ambitious! By the way, I like ambition.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    We have a new "high"...

Most users ever online was 663, 04-24-2006 at 9:20 PM.
    And another!

Most users ever online was 681, Today at 2:07 PM..

Well, Ian, the number of users is probably right, but I'm sure the time isn't!

Right now, it's 10:57AM, EDT (GMT -0400, I think), but SMC is showing 9:13AM, GMT -0500.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore