Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What hand tool skill do you want to Learn?

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    Card scraper sharpening is one I havent crossed off yet.
    I've never been able to sharpen a card scraper so that it works to my satisfaction.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Green woodworking for me, and mainly getting good with a drawknife. Just seems like a way to learn to really work with the material rather than against it. I've been trending in that direction, and I don't think I want to go totally green, but having that experience and understanding I think would help with other types of work.

I'm not a luthier but have done even extensive repairs on violins owned here.
    Always thought it would be fun to make a cello.

But as a woodworker, the older i get, the more time i want to devote to the things i really like doing, and did not do when working.
    So, I ski/teach skiing all winter, work on the house almost full time after the snow goes away, and mess about with little airplanes when finances permit, into the fall.
    Plus travel more often with wife.

The possibly attainable skills/goals are building a pair of mogul skis.
    Finish my (non-wooden) airplane project before they shovel dirt on me.

If it arises that i can't physically do those 2 yet still have reasonable health, mental capacity & somewhat remaining dexterous capabilities, i always thought i might make more pool cues and woodworking planes at such time as i got "old"
    And spend more time in the machine shop.

smt

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Ellenberger View Post
    I’d encourage you to watch a video or read a description then just go do it. If you are used to sharpening planes and chisels, then it really isn’t more challenging. I found the first several times I did it one edge would work better than another, and like anything you’ll get better with practice. But, I think card scrapers are amazing and I can’t imagine not using them.

You don’t need to do a perfect job to get a scraper that works well enough to be useful.
    I sat through a seminar at one of the woodworking shows a few years back. came home and ordered a burnisher a fresh flat file and a few cards. I get the idea but the bur always ends up inconsistant. Ill file off the work hardened stuff,then run the burnisher as im supposed to and ill end up with a half an edge on each side. You're right I just have to keep at it, i just havent had the oppurtunity. My garage time is broken by 4 and 6 year old girls

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rainey View Post
    Mike, my best experience bending wood came from a 2 part article in Fine Woodworking by Michael Fortune building a garden chair. It involves bent laminations with some modest sized particle board forms. He is expert and an excellent teacher. The 1/8 inch laminates are made using a well tuned bandsaw. Like you, I love hand tools. But the bandsaw is essential for this project. If I can give you any articles, tips or otherwise to assist in making this chair, let me know, You will be a wood bending wizard afterwards.
    Attachment 521068
    Thanks Mark! Super helpful. I hope to bite bullet and give it a try soon.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    I sat through a seminar at one of the woodworking shows a few years back. came home and ordered a burnisher a fresh flat file and a few cards. I get the idea but the bur always ends up inconsistant. Ill file off the work hardened stuff,then run the burnisher as im supposed to and ill end up with a half an edge on each side. You're right I just have to keep at it, i just havent had the oppurtunity. My garage time is broken by 4 and 6 year old girls
    I’m sure you already know this but worth mentioning that first step is to flatten any exsisting burr with burnished before filing. After filing be sure to use stones to smooth both the vertical and horizontal surfaces of scraper that form the edge before burnishing.

Mike, steam bending is not that difficult. In fact, the "set up" is the easy part. The box is easy to make and does not require exacting construction. The Earlex steamer is an economical and effective way to generate the steam.

The tricky part with steam bending is having a source of green and riven stock.

It's a very rewarding process that has [pretentious comment alert] "changed my understanding of and relationship to wood".

Check our Curtiss Buchanan. He's got a wonderful, humble way of presenting things.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 06-13-2024 at 9:32 AM.

More of a finishing technique than a woodworking skill, but I would love how to do gilding, water gilding in particular. I've done small things here and there, but to do it well requires a whole set of skills that I would like to build.

DC

I want the handskills of Mike Allen.

Regards from Perth

Derek

This could be the start of a challenge! Try something new and post the results - perfection is not expected.

I just thought of something else I’ve never tried - cutting dovetails without laying out the spacing and angles. I’d feel pretty accomplished if I could just lay out my baselines, cut my tails, and end up with well-spaced, consistent results. I may knock up a little box and report back…

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen thomas View Post

Is that a banjo? Do you steam bend the rims before rolling? or?
    It is a mandolin. The sides are bent with a quick dip in water followed by heat. The bending form has a Watlow heater under the strap. Thicker for the letters would have been good. I think I have some go through on the W. The back is .090" thick, the letters are .024" thick.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Ellenberger View Post
    This could be the start of a challenge! Try something new and post the results - perfection is not expected.

I just thought of something else I’ve never tried - cutting dovetails without laying out the spacing and angles. I’d feel pretty accomplished if I could just lay out my baselines, cut my tails, and end up with well-spaced, consistent results. I may knock up a little box and report back…
    A fun idea Ben. I think I have seen videos of Frank Klaus doing that. I think repetition is the key - he said that they would dovetail shipping boxes together to save nails. I think many Neanders love the idea of hand tool work but just never get enough practice to be exceptional. I suppose when you use your tools to put food on the table, you become skilled out of necessity.. Few earn their living that way nowadays.

Blog Entries
    I do not even know the dovetail language yet. I think they look prettier when the layout lines have been removed from the finished work.

Blog Entries
    Thanks a lot Prashun!! I always enjoy your thoughtful comments and suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Mike, steam bending is not that difficult. In fact, the "set up" is the easy part. The box is easy to make and does not require exacting construction. The Earlex steamer is an economical and effective way to generate the steam.

The tricky part with steam bending is having a source of green and riven stock.

It's a very rewarding process that has [pretentious comment alert] "changed my understanding of and relationship to wood".

Check our Curtiss Buchanan. He's got a wonderful, humble way of presenting things.

Blog Entries
    I appreciate your perspective Maurice- removing layout marks seems pretty standard. However, I personally like to leave the baseline marking gauge line because it confirms the DT’s were hand cut. Jig or machine doesn’t require baseline layout. In the same way, I like finding layout marks on non show sides of antiques- connection to craftsman of previous era.

Cheers, Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    I do not even know the dovetail language yet. I think they look prettier when the layout lines have been removed from the finished work.