Thread: Domino for Miters on 1/2" Carcass Sides

Domino for Miters on 1/2" Carcass Sides

I'm wondering how folks are doing these.... I'm using the 4mm Domino cutter, and have the depth set at 20mm...because the bit is shorter it is correctly cutting a 10mm deep mortise...but this just barely pokes through the other side of the wood. And yes, I've set the 45 degree angle before lowering the fence. Seems like some sort of spacer is needed under the fence...?maybe in the 4-6mm range....if someone has worked all this out it would be useful hear what works well..Thanks!

Blog Entries
    With ½" sides, you probably would be better off with splined miters or adding splines after gluing up.

Izzy, depending on the material and the way the carcase is used, you may not need any reinforcements at all. I have build many boxes and small cabinets without anything other than sized-and-glued ends. This is perfectly fine and strong in the appropriate situation (that is, when the corners will not be stressed).

An article I wrote illustrating this ... some discussion?

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furnitu...Together2.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

I have done this a few times, mostly for drawers made with baltic birch and mitered corners joined with 4mm domino tenons.

Like you mentioned, I used a spacer (piece of acrylic sheet attached to the fence with double sided tape) to start the domino mortise as close to the inner side as possible. I don’t remember the thickness of the acrylic sheet, but likely 1/4” or 3/8”.

Hi Derek, I'm making a small carcass for a jewelry box...very similar to the first box in your nice article. I am trying to use the 4mm Dominos mostly for alignment, and think I have finally milled up a spacer for the fence that works. I must say though, that the most interesting part of your article was the beautiful turntable... Thanks for your comments!

Frank, yes, looks like something like 1/8 acrylic sheet under the fence gets you close. I milled up some hardwood and with the drum sander took it to about .1 inches...and I think that's a touch better. Still trying to fine tune it... Thanks for your comment.