Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cut Aluminum With A Bandsaw?

Cut Aluminum With A Bandsaw?

Can I cut cast aluminum with a non-carbide blade?

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Yes, I’ve done it many times including 1 1/4 plate on a Delta 14”. Just don’t feed too quickly.
    Please help support the Creek.

"The older I get, the better I used to be."
    Lee Trevino

Blog Entries
    I would say maybe depending upon the thickness of the casting. It will make a considerable mess of metal flakes through out your saw.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I would say maybe depending upon the thickness of the casting. It will make a considerable mess of metal flakes through out your saw.
    I think it's about 1/8" in the thick parts. I'll clean up the saw after. Too bad...it's a brand new saw.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Arita View Post
    I think it's about 1/8" in the thick parts. I'll clean up the saw after. Too bad...it's a brand new saw.
    A hack saw might be quicker overall.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

a jigsaw with a bimetal blade would be good enough for a rough cut.

I bought a cheap Ryobi 12” miter saw off CL and have a 12” aluminum cutting blade on it. It does a pretty job, but makes such a mess that I carry it outside to use

I built tracksaw hinges for an MFT. The Aluminium is 6mm thick, and was cut with a bandsaw and grooves were routed with a carbide bit. Aluminium works like wood, but cleaning up afterwards is a pain as the shavings go everywhere.

The 20mm thick aluminium extrusion fence was also sawn on the bandsaw.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 04-06-2023 at 9:53 PM.

If small enough to fit I use a sliding chop saw with a carbide tooth blade. It makes a very clean cut. But you'll need to wear eye glasses and hearing protection. Just don't cut too fast.

Last edited by Alex Zeller; 04-06-2023 at 10:40 PM.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Yes, I’ve done it many times including 1 1/4 plate on a Delta 14”. Just don’t feed too quickly.
    I found some old pics of the aluminum table I made for my old Delta bandsaw 20+ years ago. Looking at the pics, the plate looks to be 1.5” thick, (CRS). I didn’t have any issues cutting the plate but as mentioned, it made a hell of a mess. I spent a good bit of time cleaning the tires with a brass brush.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

"The older I get, the better I used to be."
    Lee Trevino

They failed to say that spraying on denatured alcohol makes for faster ,neater work.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    I found some old pics of the aluminum table I made for my old Delta bandsaw 20+ years ago. Looking at the pics, the plate looks to be 1.5” thick, (CRS). I didn’t have any issues cutting the plate but as mentioned, it made a hell of a mess. I spent a good bit of time cleaning the tires with a brass brush.
    Ya, that's my only reservation about using the bandsaw...I have concerns about particles becoming embedded in the tires. I do have a handheld metal bandsaw, however the cut has to be very accurate and it will be difficult to do with the handheld saw.

Metal shops cut with the bandsaw regularly. Consider what blade to use as the single biggest factor. Then feed/speeds are normally slower than wood. But the answer is yes, absolutely. (as mentioned, aluminum cuts on the miter, circ, or tablesaw even, given some consideration for blade type)

Gotta friend with a CNC?

John

I've got a drill/mill, but have only used it as a drill. Using it as a mill would require the purchase of more accessories that would send me down a whole new road.