Thread: Epoxy Sealer (Total Boat)

Epoxy Sealer (Total Boat)

So I'm making a few charcuterie boards as Xmas presents and am applying Total Boat epoxy sealer to the planed and sanded bare wood surface before doing an epoxy pour.

The epoxy sealer is a 2:1 mix. It claims to have about a 20 minute working time.

I'm doing this in my kitchen, so the air temp is around 70F.

The waste epoxy, left in the cup, after I brushed it on my boards has set solid. What I spread on my boards, some has soaked in, but the excess has not cured.

I'm a little flustered as to why the epoxy on the wood remains uncured.

Last edited by ChrisA Edwards; 12-15-2022 at 9:26 PM.

Not sure why the excess didn't cure, but you might try warming it gently with a hair dryer. My FIL was a fiberglass mechanic and he did it when things didn't kick as planned. I have done it a few times with boat repairs and it helped.

Good luck!

The larger the mass, the faster it kicks. If it kicked in the container, it will cure on the surface but will take longer.

I have complete confidence in Totalboat stuff. I've been dealing with Jamestown Distributors since they first went in business. Must be 45 years or so.

You were right Tom, it finally set hard overnight. I need to light sand it, so I may have to wait another day or so. Thanks.

Nice looking board, Chris. Is the art done totally via epoxy pour, or are you sealing a painted surface? Great idea anyway you look at it!

I took an epoxy class, about a month ago at my local Woodcraft.

It's a total epoxy pour. The board in my picture above is three mica powder colors and a solid white pigment.

Your mix the three colors first and then apply them to the board. Then, where you want the wave, you pour a thin layer, about 3/4" wide of clear epoxy on top of the previously poured colors. Then pour an almost dribble of the white on top of the clear.

Using a heat gun, slowly blow on the white to make it spread.

And finally spritz a one pump of a spray bottle containing Isopropyl Alcohol, That's where the magic happens.

As it slowly sets, make light passes with a heat gun to help pull the air bubbles out of the epoxy.

The process I'm in now, that started this thread, I've found that if the wood is not sealed before the epoxy is poured, air will continue to come up through the wood and leave little air bubbles in the epoxy and it gets to the point where the epoxy starts to set, and even with heat, the epoxy will no allow the air to reach the surface and pop.

Thanks Chris. Very interesting process with lots of possibilities...surf and sand...mountains and starry night sky with northern lights. Cool stuff. Thanks for sharing.