Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Epoxy: a tip

West Systems 105 for me. 1 pump resin, 1 pump hardener, mix. That’s it.

I also really like the West System 105 pump system. I'm not a huge fan of mixing epoxies either so spent the money on the pump system. To check the accuracy I also weighed my first couple of batches and was very surprised at how accurate the pumps were. At this point I trust them and have yet to have any issue. It converted me to a West System fan.

I use a lot of West Systems too. I keep a sleeve of unwaxed paper cups for pumping into for mixing, and little plastic ones for tiny batches. The paper ones I like are kind of short, and wide. You can see one on the cardboard under the truck fender in the first picture.

Blog Entries
    The pumps with the scale works best for me. I keep track of just how many grams are needed for various tasks.

I got a thing of 1000 tiny little plastic bottles (think visine eye drop size) with needle applicator tips (think covid shot needle) for I dunno, 19$. Lifetime supply. Great for filling the occasional (dead) bug hole in reclaimed barn wood, nail hole, etc, without getting more epoxy on the work piece than in the hole.

I use the west system after trying every single one of the amazon "table top" brands. Dixie cup and one pump is all I need. The extra cost is worth the less mess.

I keep a cheap digital scale and a selection of disposable cups around for mixing epoxy. The scale has to be replaced every few years because no matter how careful I am, it still gets nasty.

Blog Entries
    I try to remember to cover my scale with waxed paper or plastic wrap. I often forget. I use denatured alcohol to clean up. I often use a soldering acid brush to apply the glue. I keep the acid brush in a jar with denatured or acetone and reuse it several times. (having had parents who lived through the depression)