Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Harvey vs Shop Fox bandsaw

Quote Originally Posted by Clifford McGuire View Post
    I rented an appliance dolly. The C14 is shaped similar to a refrigerator and about as heavy. I was able to get mine down into the basement with three guys. As we were goig down the stairs, we had one on each handle lowering it slowly. And one at the other end, keeping it going staight and providing some resistance.

We left it crated/packaged until we had it in the basement.

I already own an appliance dolly so that should work in theory, except of course the unit will be a good bit taller than the handles on the dolly. The biggest difficulty is the stairs: this will be going down a set of steep Bilco stairs with limited space for standing. For previous heavy items I've built a ramp and lowered things down using straps attached to a truck. But those items (Hammer Jointer/Planer, Hammer K3 saw) were short and could easily go through the limited doorway height. I can't do that with a bandsaw that's shipped standing up.

One option is to basically do what you did: Someone is holding the dolly from above, while someone else is below and providing resistance on each step. But at nearly 500 pounds ship weight that seems a little precarious. The folks at Harvey suggested I remove the table first, then put the box back around the unit before trying to bring it down the stairs; relieve some of that weight.

Another option is to build a ramp that is just the sides of the ramp. Basically 2 long pieces of "angle iron" made out of plywood. They would lay on the stairs and could be setup to prevent the wheels of the dolly from going offline. Then I can go with that same two-person setup but the saw itself is doing most of the "weight" work.
    And there was trouble, taking place...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Braun View Post
    The week I got mine we were scheduled for heavy rain and I wasn't sure if i could get it into the garage with out some unpacking/disassembly. I asked the freight company, Daylight Transport, to hold it for a few days. It ended up just fitting under the door, on the skid with a pallet jack.
    I haven't measured the height of my garage door when opened to make sure it will fit through without some amount of tipping required. I might have to have my dolly ready and see if the driver will let me hook it up and help me wheel it into the garage if need be.

Steve, most likely your garage door is 7' tall. That's the most common for residential garages in this area.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Steve, most likely your garage door is 7' tall. That's the most common for residential garages in this area.
    I actually just checked and it looks like it's right around there, yes. I should be fine then. :-)

Clifford, I have the Harvey mobile base but used a double layer of 3/4 ply, it seems pretty solid. Did your base come with the longer screws to support a 1.5" base?

Attachment 472853
    Jim, I'm assuming you've got both of the lifting casters on the same side there (i.e., the "front of the saw") which allows you to slide the saw straight back and forth to / from the wall? Do you have any problems with weight distribution when pushing on one lifter and then the other? What kind of clearance are you getting when going with two pieces of 3/4 ply?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Wurster View Post
    Jim, I'm assuming you've got both of the lifting casters on the same side there (i.e., the "front of the saw") which allows you to slide the saw straight back and forth to / from the wall? Do you have any problems with weight distribution when pushing on one lifter and then the other? What kind of clearance are you getting when going with two pieces of 3/4 ply?
    Steve,
    I'll assume the front of the saw is the side you push the wood into . If that is the case then I have the casters on the right side of the saw. To move the saw I grab the dust port and the upper frame, it moves ok and you get used to turning corners with it. I need to move it several feet btw where I park it and where I use it.

The clearance btw the floor and the base is 1", the corner pieces have a bottom, you lay in your plywood and then put a top plate on to sandwich it, so adding more wood raises the table height. The clearance btw the adjustable feet and the floor with the saw raised is very small <.125" the way I have it adjusted. I have a smooth floor so I don't get hung up on anything.

IMG_2081.jpeg

Steve,
    I'll assume the front of the saw is the side you push the wood into . If that is the case then I have the casters on the right side of the saw. To move the saw I grab the dust port and the upper frame, it moves ok and you get used to turning corners with it. I need to move it several feet btw where I park it and where I use it.

The clearance btw the floor and the base is 1", the corner pieces have a bottom, you lay in your plywood and then put a top plate on to sandwich it, so adding more wood raises the table height. The clearance btw the adjustable feet and the floor with the saw raised is very small <.125" the way I have it adjusted. I have a smooth floor so I don't get hung up on anything.

IMG_2081.jpeg
    You have the casters where I would want them. Unfortunately with my slightly uneven basement floor a clearance of <.125" might not be enough, so I think I'll be looking for another solution. Thanks!

Steve,

IMG_2081.jpeg

After banging my toes and shins on the rotating casters (they really stick out), I re-orientated the wheels. Now they are on the side. I am able to reach them with my foot to engage them.

I have enough hose to pull the saw out about a foot. That's all I need to handle longer boards.

PXL_20220204_140731274.jpg

I don't know if you can tell, but I took Jim's suggestion to add a send layer of plywood and it does stiffen the frame. Thanks Jim!

But I now have three mobile bases (Harvey, Shop Fox, Grizzly) and the Grizzly Bear claw is the best of the bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Clifford McGuire View Post
    After banging my toes and shins on the rotating casters (they really stick out), I re-orientated the wheels. Now they are on the side. I am able to reach them with my foot to engage them.

I have enough hose to pull the saw out about a foot. That's all I need to handle longer boards.

PXL_20220204_140731274.jpg

I don't know if you can tell, but I took Jim's suggestion to add a send layer of plywood and it does stiffen the frame. Thanks Jim!

But I now have three mobile bases (Harvey, Shop Fox, Grizzly) and the Grizzly Bear claw is the best of the bunch.
    That layout won't work for me unfortunately, as it's 90 degrees to the movement I will most likely need. Putting the rotating casters in the "back" might work for me though, so that's a thought.

Are the adjustable foot pads threaded into the base? I have some double-locking stem casters that I could use, but only if they will fit into those openings. That would allow me to get complete movement out of the unit, fully lock on wheels every time (which most of my equipment does), and will only raise the entire saw by about 4 inches.

I actually just checked and it looks like it's right around there, yes. I should be fine then. :-)
    Have you considered it arriving on a double stack of pallets? Common for bandsaws, typically the factory pallet has a small footprint that a pallet jack won't fit so they hoist the thing up on a 2nd larger pallet for delivery. In my case it wouldn't fit under my garage door with the 2nd pallet. Was also too tall then for my engine hoist. I had to get creative.

tools01.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell Bade View Post
    On mobile bases the Grizzly Bear Claw is tough to beat.
    I own 3 Grizzly Bear Claw, I'll end up replacing all 3. You step down on the foot operated cam to lift the machine up onto the leveling pads, the problem is they don't hold. I ignored another buyer who had reported this before I purchased mine. Sure enough these foot operated cams can let loose dropping the machine down onto the caster in the middle of operating the machine. A safety hazard. Mobile bases I'll own going forward will have the resting/working state of the machine down onto the leveling pads and need to be lifted up onto casters for moving around.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Coolidge View Post
    Have you considered it arriving on a double stack of pallets? Common for bandsaws, typically the factory pallet has a small footprint that a pallet jack won't fit so they hoist the thing up on a 2nd larger pallet for delivery. In my case it wouldn't fit under my garage door with the 2nd pallet. Was also too tall then for my engine hoist. I had to get creative.

tools01.jpg
    I know this bandsaw is only 72" tall, so even if it's a double pallet I should be okay. I guess we'll find out whenever it is it arrives (expected late March / early April).

Are the adjustable foot pads threaded into the base? I have some double-locking stem casters that I could use, but only if they will fit into those openings. That would allow me to get complete movement out of the unit, fully lock on wheels every time (which most of my equipment does), and will only raise the entire saw by about 4 inches.
    Steve,
    Yes the legs are threaded through the base, M12x60, according to the manual. You have an interesting idea I'd like to know how and if it works out for you.

14. I'm about to modify some mobile bases with this, food for thought. The best mobile bases I have experienced are this design with a mono foot operated wheel in front. When released the machine drops down planted on the front leveling pads and rear wheels.

pedal02.jpg

pedal01.jpg

You can purchase the pedal assemblies from Grizzly, $61.56 each. It's pretty heavy duty, here's one on their 783lb 20" planer.

base01.jpg

Steve,
    Yes the legs are threaded through the base, M12x60, according to the manual. You have an interesting idea I'd like to know how and if it works out for you.
    Cool, thanks. I also emailed Harvey to see what they thought of this idea. Will be interesting to see what they say.