Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hand tool guy on YouTube

Hi Mike, I’ve watched your builds, some of my favorites, along with Derek’s, Steven’s and many others. I’ve also watched many YT videos about woodworking, machining, carving and other things i enjoy doing. Starting a channel is quite an endeavor. It very easy for me to figure out YT presenters, they either have it or they don’t. Some proclaim to be experts some do not. I find that many of the proclaimed experts fall quickly. I have followed your builds enough to see that you don’t claim any expertise but do expert work. I would very much like to see you give it a try. I’ve been at this work for what I consider a long time, more than 50 years. I still love to learn. I think I can learn from you. A lot of work for you but i say go for it.
    Jim

[QUOTE=Mike Allen1010;3155772]Thanks a lot Joe and everyone, I really appreciate you all taking the time to share your insights and perspectives – very helpful! As much as I truly enjoy working with people in my shop and teaching them about hand tools, translating that to the online world requires a lot of AV/IT work which is definitely not hot my sweet spot! I did watch a YouTube video about "how to make a YouTube video" (there's got to be some kind of irony in that), and all the camera and microphone tech made my head spin. Probably something my Boys could do at the drop of a hat with their phone.

I have applied for a teaching position with the woodworking program in our local community college. I know all the instructors and have done handsaw workshops for a couple of their classes. That would be my first choice, but the whole hiring process/timeline seems super uncertain – maybe Covid residual effect.

Thanks again for the insight and advice. I really do appreciate the support! I'll let you know if something works out.

All the best, Mike[/QUOTE

Go for it Mike. Hire a media expert like I did. The 14 year old grandson is a comp wiz. And works cheap as long as I make him my world famous smoked meat loaf. And let him roam around town in the golf cart. Seriously - would love to see you work.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Blog Entries
    I have applied for a teaching position with the woodworking program in our local community college. I know all the instructors and have done handsaw workshops for a couple of their classes. That would be my first choice, but the whole hiring process/timeline seems super uncertain – maybe Covid residual effect.
    Does the community college have classes in video production or presentation?

You might be able to get some collaboration on this to make educational woodworking videos.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)