Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tips on buying used planer/thicknesser

Awesome! Thanks for the update. It looks like a solid machine.

I’ve been looking for a used, Italian industrial grade 18-20” planer with a Tersa head for about a year, but haven’t found the right deal in the right location yet. That machine sounds like a solid deal for you.
    Still waters run deep.

[QUOTE=Michail Kyriazanos;2961601]Thanks everyone on welcoming and your replies.

Market in Greece is in huge favor of buyers right now. Most old woodworking shops are closed so deals for real professional Italian machinery from Paoloni, Casadei and older SCM for 500-1500 euros, and a bit more for Felder and newer SCM. A guy offers me a 3.2m panel saw for 800euros but it's too big to fit in the new shop and I'm not going to work on panels anyways.
    __________________________________________________ ______________
    Put the Paoloni stuff in a container, and send it west over the ocean.

The parts inside a Paoloni planer are all beautifully machined. I would get stuff and run it a whiel before changing out bearings. Bearings in good stuff will run for decades. Getting the correct bearings, mounted correctly, can be left until they really need to be changed. I have bought 1960's industrial machines that run fine as is. Hobbyist grade American machines have parts with shorter life spans. Cracked castings and evidence of serious fire would be my concerns. Replacing magnetic starters runs up a bill, especially if there are a few.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Mitchell View Post
    Awesome! Thanks for the update. It looks like a solid machine.

I’ve been looking for a used, Italian industrial grade 18-20” planer with a Tersa head for about a year, but haven’t found the right deal in the right location yet. That machine sounds like a solid deal for you.

Thank you it turned out to be a good deal. Only downside on the wide cutterhead (51cm) is that the custom dust shrouds that I'm trying to make is difficult to catch the chips created at far sides.
    Trying to think a better design again, haha.

I was looking for a Italian 40cm wide with Tersa myself but I couldn't find anything in a good price to justify not buying a new one. Although it's not even close to Tersa fast change the magnetic jig for knives is not that bad.

Hope you find something to suit your needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Michail Kyriazanos View Post
    And after some time I got to buy the machine and moved it to my new workshop a few days ago.

It was used well in the past. Only downside was that previous owner never bothered to make a dust collection port and dust was everywhere.
    Minor rust was removed with wd40 and steel wool.
    Changed drive belts and chain also.

Buying, shipping and servicing cost me around 1200$.
    Awesome find. Pretty much everyone I know who purchased a used jointer/planer has ended up having to fabricate a new dust snorkel.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    Awesome find. Pretty much everyone I know who purchased a used jointer/planer has ended up having to fabricate a new dust snorkel.

Erik
    Thank you Erik

I'm trying to find online any popular or "rule of thumb" designs for a dust hood but it seems that not much are uploaded. Again back on drawing board.

Quote Originally Posted by Michail Kyriazanos View Post
    Thank you Erik

I'm trying to find online any popular or "rule of thumb" designs for a dust hood but it seems that not much are uploaded. Again back on drawing board.
    5"/120mm is the industry standard diameter for dust outlets on that class of machine, by the way.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep