Thread: Self-centering bits

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries
    I wish they made one size smaller. Made several boxes with small hinges and the smallest size was too large for the screws.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas L Carpenter View Post
    I wish they made one size smaller. Made several boxes with small hinges and the smallest size was too large for the screws.
    I too have been trying to find one a size smaller for small hinges and such. Really surprised no one seems to make this.

Thomas Carpenter and Peter Kuhlman: you mentioned a need for small screw self-centering bits. How "small" is "small"? Snappy make one for a #4 (softwood) and a #2 screw (hardwood) with a 5/64" drill.

See: https://www.snappytools.com/product/...ring-hinge-bit

Would imperial or metric transfer punches work -- tap to mark the hole placement, then drill??? Looking on Amazon metric transfer punch sets start at 1.0 mm; imperial at 3/32"

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Newman View Post
    Thomas Carpenter and Peter Kuhlman: you mentioned a need for small screw self-centering bits. How "small" is "small"? Snappy make one for a #4 (softwood) and a #2 screw (hardwood) with a 5/64" drill.

See: https://www.snappytools.com/product/...ring-hinge-bit

Would imperial or metric transfer punches work -- tap to mark the hole placement, then drill??? Looking on Amazon metric transfer punch sets start at 1.0 mm; imperial at 3/32"
    I have the 5/64 size and it makes too large of a hole for the small brass screws used for decorative trim and small hinges. Not sure what exactly I need - maybe 3/64”?