The MLCS router table doesn't use an insert. It's one of the cons about it. I'm leaning towards it because it's a cast iron top and very heavy. It's around 130 lbs so it has a feel to it sort of like a cabinet saw. It might be a little heavy to be portable but I could add wheels to one side. I figure the weight should make it feel like I'm not going to push it around the shop and the cast iron be less likely to get damaged if I need to take it to a job. It's a little cheaper in price than the Kreg (which has an MDF laminate top) and about the same size table. I like the fence on the Kreg better but it's not a deal breaker as I could install a nicer one down the road if I felt it was really needed for my use.

Most of the routers I was looking at had a through the table adjustment, I didn't see the Triton having that feature. I was hoping with a through the table adjustment I could get by without adding a lift. I've made it decades without a router mounted in a table so a part of me doesn't want to spend too much on a tool that I may not use too often. Then there's the tool guy in me that loves tools. If I find myself using it more often than I thought I would I think I would opt for a shaper.