Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Sawstop Injury I didn't think this could happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Decker View Post
    ...I'm awaiting delivery on my second SawStop...
    You should be twice as safe now.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Rochkind View Post
    Actually, there's no proof that the SawStop technology reduces injuries to experienced, trained, and careful woodworkers. True, there are many reported cases where a body part touched the blade, the saw stopped, and the injury was minor or nonexistent. But that doesn't mean that there would have been an injury had a conventional saw been used.

[Added] SawStop technology might even increase other injuries, such as those from kickback, because of misunderstandings about what the technology can actually do and not do.

Until comprehensive data is collected about table saw injuries, complete enough so that variables can be controlled for (age, health, experience, time spent in shop, etc.), we won't know what the overall benefit of SawStop technology is.
    So true! As far as we know, all those who have reported a cut to SS are newbie (with about 1 week of woodworking exp. or less before they owned a SS), inexperienced, untrained, inattentive and reckless woodworkers.

Listen, SawStop's new owner.

We demand you DROP your prices for every model by 50% (at least) UNTIL you can prove your worth! Dr Gass has ripped you off with his sale of his business and technology that has unknown overall benefit! Go after him before it is too late.

Simon
    Last edited by Simon MacGowen; 03-03-2018 at 3:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mreza Salav View Post
    Are you driving more recklessly now that the cars have a lot more safety features compared to 30 years ago? Anybody who does that is making a big mistake.
    There are plenty of data out there regarding the number of amputations on table saws per year and it should be possible to find how many are just weekend worriers or hobbyist and how many are professionals. I suspect that a sawstop will not detect what type of user you are and the reduction will be equal for hobbyist and professionals :-)
    Taken from; The guardian 2016

Behind this demarking lies the concept of “shared space” and “naked streets”, developed in the 1990s by the late Dutch engineer, Hans Monderman. He held that traffic was safest when road users were “self-policing” and streets were cleared of controlling clutter. His innovations, now adopted in some 400 towns across Europe, have led to dramatic falls in accidents. Yet for some reason Monderman’s ideas remain starkly uninfluential in the world of “big” health and safety, especially in Britain.

Monderman’s principle is that freedom to assess risk for ourselves is what makes us safer. Rules, controls, signs, traffic lights all reduce our awareness of our surroundings and thus our sense of danger. On roads, he said: “When you don’t exactly know who has right of way, you tend to seek eye contact with other road users. You automatically reduce your speed … and take greater care.”

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hennebury View Post
    Taken from; The guardian 2016
    “When you don’t exactly know who has right of way, you tend to seek eye contact with other road users. You automatically reduce your speed … and take greater care.”

Tell this to a guy behind the steering wheel of a Hummer!

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Rochkind View Post
    Actually, there's no proof that the SawStop technology reduces injuries to experienced, trained, and careful woodworkers. True, there are many reported cases where a body part touched the blade, the saw stopped, and the injury was minor or nonexistent. But that doesn't mean that there would have been an injury had a conventional saw been used.
    ???? I got Sawstops because I had employees using the table saws. When the process / flow changed, I sold one and kept one. It saved my thumb from having a nice split one Friday afternoon 20 minutes before quitting time. No one is going to argue that people should be personally responsible for their actions and act accordingly, but I also have all the proof I need that a blade brake stops cuts from becoming disasterous in the case of an accident.
    JR

Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    Tell this to a guy behind the steering wheel of a Hummer!

Simon
    I believe someone already stated that statistics apply to the overall group not an individual within a group.

I believe someone already stated that statistics apply to the overall group not an individual within a group.
    But when my own safety is at stake, including amputations, I study statistics to avoid becoming a statistic!

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by J.R. Rutter View Post
    ???? I got Sawstops because I had employees using the table saws. When the process / flow changed, I sold one and kept one. It saved my thumb from having a nice split one Friday afternoon 20 minutes before quitting time. No one is going to argue that people should be personally responsible for their actions and act accordingly, but I also have all the proof I need that a blade brake stops cuts from becoming disasterous in the case of an accident.
    Friday afternoon, quiitting time... Bad time to be doing dangerous work when your'e attention is divided. Best to leave that until Monday Morning when your'e not in a hurry to leave, and you can fully concentrate on what you are doing. But hey you got a sawstop so whats the worst thing that could happen.

I don't have employees otherwise i would have all of the safety apparatus in place.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    Start another thread and I'll discuss that one with you.
    I'd rather not. My point was that my own experience and the general feeling both here and elsewhere is that SawStop makes a very good saw. My guess is that you and some others might disagree, otherwise this wouldn't be the internet.

But when my own safety is at stake, including amputations, I study statistics to avoid becoming a statistic!

Simon
    Simon, like i said statistics don't apply to you individually, they apply to a percentage of 100,000 Simons or 1,000,000 Simons.
    They are a generalization of you risk factor, and it doesn't take into account how you as an individual will operate or how you will fare.

I have read the thread entitled " Had an ooops in the shop Monday"

Of the half a dozen posters that said they have had an accident on the jointer all of them had guards on at the time of the accident. Not really a large enough group to use as say anything definite, but an interesting observation that might be worth investigating.

It would be interesting to see a thorough set of statistics that was broken down into all of the subgroups, so that we had a better understanding of how, when and why accidents happen. And with what type of shop and equipment and safety or lack of safety equipment.

Does anyone know if this type of data exists?

Simon, like i said statistics don't apply to you individually, they apply to a percentage of 100,000 Simons or 1,000,000 Simons.
    They are a generalization of you risk factor, and it doesn't take into account how you as an individual will operate or how you will fare.
    While statistics is a study of the whole population or a representative sample and its results apply to a group and not an individual, as a member of the group being studied, I can take measures as an individual in light of the group findings.

For example, one study found that 10 years after quitting, a member of the public's risk of dying from lung cancer is about half that of a person who is still smoking. As an individual, I consider myself a member of the public and I would stop smoking, hoping that my chances of dying from lung cancer would be cut. The statistics is a generation of my risk factor but it also provides vital information for me to assess, decide and take action.

If the finding were after 10 years of quitting, my risk of dying would be cut by 0.0001%, I might not care.

So, I study statistics, including how many amputations are happening each day or how many tablesaw injury happens every x minutes, to guide my actions and decisions.

Simon
    Last edited by Simon MacGowen; 03-03-2018 at 5:28 PM.

While statistics is a study of the whole population or a representative sample and its results apply to a group and not an individual, as a member of the group being studied, I can take measures as an individual in light of the group findings.

For example, one study found that 10 years after quitting, a member of the public's risk of dying from lung cancer is about half that of a person who is still smoking. As an individual, I consider myself a member of the public and I would stop smoking, hoping that my chances of dying from lung cancer would be cut. The statistics is a generation of my risk factor but it also provides vital information for me to assess, decide and take action.

If the finding were after 10 years of quitting, my risk of dying would be cut by 0.0001%, I might not care.

So, I study statistics, including how many amputations are happening each day or how many tablesaw injury happens every x minutes, to guide my actions and decisions.

Simon
    Hi Simon, Good luck, i hope that it all works out for you. I am always a little leary of statistics as there are many variables and many can be omitted or misrepresented.

I had a good friend, Non-smoker, Extremely fit and healthy, ate celery sticks, and exercised, died of lung cancer at the age of 41. He had been going to the doctor for two years about a persistent cough, of course they never checked him for lung cancer, he didn't fit the statistical profile.

...one study found that 10 years after quitting, a member of the public's risk of dying from lung cancer is about half that of a person who is still smoking. As an individual, I consider myself a member of the public and I would stop smoking, hoping that my chances of dying from lung cancer would be cut. The statistics is a generation of my risk factor but it also provides vital information for me to assess, decide and take action...So, I study statistics, including how many amputations are happening each day or how many tablesaw injury happens every x minutes, to guide my actions and decisions.

Simon
    Really, if I had to live that kind of life, I would just shoot myself now.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

He had been going to the doctor for two years about a persistent cough, of course they never checked him for lung cancer, he didn't fit the statistical profile.
    Of course, and it is easy to explain: any lung cancer statistics does not apply to him as an individual.

Same thing, a SS does not prevent tablesaw injuries to anyone who owns one...it just reduces the extent or severity of a sawcut injury if and when it happens-- provided the operator does not disengage the SS feature!

Simon