Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Delta DJ-20 vs Grizzly 490x

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hachet View Post
    An awful lot of hobbyist would rather make sawdust than restore old Iron. I get that. I have been wanting a PM 60 for two years, cheapest I have seen one go was 750 and it sold before I could call on it. Some things like radial arm saw and scroll saws sell cheaply, lathes are not hard to find, but decent jointers at a decent price are not common on the used market.
    BTW there is a nice looking evergreen PM 60 on Woodweb for $625 IIRC it is somewhere in Virginia.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    BTW there is a nice looking evergreen PM 60 on Woodweb for $625 IIRC it is somewhere in Virginia.
    Cheapest I have seen one, I will have to check it out.

Edited to add--3 phase machine. I would probably buy that as I prefer 3 phase machines but most people are uncomfortable wiring a VFD. But a nice Jointer.

Still for the average hobbyist, this would still be more expensive than the Grizzly 8 inch jointer once you add in a VFD, a box for the VFD, and transportation to and from Virginia. You have to want a vintage powermatic to own this machine.
    Last edited by Chris Hachet; 03-13-2017 at 7:45 AM. Reason: Response to Van

I missed out on a DJ-20 for $600 by just a few hours this weekend... It popped up on Craigslist on Thursday afternoon... My plan was to buy it on Saturday. Guess I should have taken a vacation day.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Stockdale View Post
    I missed out on a DJ-20 for $600 by just a few hours this weekend... It popped up on Craigslist on Thursday afternoon... My plan was to buy it on Saturday. Guess I should have taken a vacation day.
    The Grizzly 0490 is about a grand with straight knives. Anything that is 8 inches and single phase seems to go very very quickly in terms of jointers. Even at $600 I would be tempted to buy the newer jointer.

Not sure why woodworking equipment is selling so fast on Craigslist, but ti is a good sign that people are making lots of sawdust in garages and basements. I would rather see people using the stuff than have an abundant market for cheap machines.

The DJ-20 was made in Brazil under Delta's collaboration with Invicta. I think Invicta is still in business, Delta...well not really anymore. Pretty well made machines. I have the smaller 6" DJ-15 for about 25 years and wouldn't trade it. I use it for small stuff and use my Oliver 144 BD for most jointing operations. That said, $925 seems high to me. That jointer should being 20 years old should go for about $500-600 in excellent shape. Can't speak to Grizzly as I don't own any of their machinery, however, that said I do know that most is outsourced overseas, but then so is the Invicta DJ-15. Pick your poison.

The best thing about my DJ20 is the parallelogram tables, using handles rather than hand wheels. I quite often change table height up and down cleaning up rough edges, and it is really convenient. I know Grizzly makes some of this type. Whichever brand I was looking for, that would me a must for me. Hobbyist.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Delta went first to Brazil to outsource, then to Taiwan, finally to China. With all the moves, the last ones were often better than the first ones but each move was a step down, not a lateral move. The 1990s machines will likely be Taiwan. Dave

There's a dj20 on San Francisco bay area C.L. right now for $580. Looks in great condition.

Quote Originally Posted by ken carroll View Post
    There's a dj20 on San Francisco bay area C.L. right now for $580. Looks in great condition.
    Tools seem to be cheaper in California for some reason. $580 is very fair...

Tools seem to be cheaper in California for some reason. $580 is very fair...
    Usually, there are few tools to be had in California because there is very little demand. While I'm not looking for any tools, when I have paid attention to Craigslist in the past, I just gave up because there have been few, if any tools listed and the few that ever show up are bad quality. Woodworking just doesn't seem to be much of a thing out here.

I have less than $900 into this 12" General, that doesn't include my time.
    P1080348.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Delyster View Post
    I have less than $900 into this 12" General, that doesn't include my time.
    P1080348.jpg
    Extremely impressive.

Used prices of Jointers is so fun to watch.

Seen two Grizzly G1018 8" for sale last few weeks. $300-$400 range. Tempting. One can't power on. Then another pops up for $700.

Couple DJ20s in the $500-$700 range too.

I may offer $375 for a DJ20 and see if I get lucky.

Extremely impressive.
    Thank you Chris,
    I did a rebuild thread over on the Canadian Woodworking Forum "General 280 Jointer".