Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Laser engraving darkening

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Harman View Post
    Oh, I think so. That's because the part that has been engraved is the same color in all four, it's just that three were painted black before engraving. That's assuming those were actually laser engraved, do we know for sure that's what was done?
    That's a picture taken inside the laser bed mid-engrave. The machine broke down at that step. He has several panels side by side by side. Nothing was painted. You can see where the laser head stopped.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Harman View Post
    Oh, I think so. That's because the part that has been engraved is the same color in all four, it's just that three were painted black before engraving. That's assuming those were actually laser engraved, do we know for sure that's what was done?
    Hard to tell on a tablet. The piece in the foreground looked like BB that is laser engraved since the darker positive space looks pretty typical of the end result. Although when I zoom the pic, i guess it could be stained. ???

For wood, I have found that finishing the piece before lasering (I usually sand, use danish oil with a top coat of shellac, then wax) then engraving, then going over with gel stain gives very good results. The dark gel stain wipes off of the shellacked surace without staining darker. The gel settles into the engraving and gives excellent contrast. If using mask and paint, I would strongly suggest you use shellac prior to applying the paint, as it will help prevent bleed. Again, this is for wood. Never tried it with any other material.
    Live Oak Forge
    40W Epilog Mini 18
    Shopbot 32"x24"x6" PRT
    Shopbot 48"x48"x6" PRS
    Next Engine Scanner
    Artcam
    CorelDRAW X5
    Multiple and various other implements of destruction

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Munroe View Post
    For wood, I have found that finishing the piece before lasering (I usually sand, use danish oil with a top coat of shellac, then wax) then engraving, then going over with gel stain gives very good results. The dark gel stain wipes off of the shellacked surace without staining darker. The gel settles into the engraving and gives excellent contrast. If using mask and paint, I would strongly suggest you use shellac prior to applying the paint, as it will help prevent bleed. Again, this is for wood. Never tried it with any other material.
    What sort of wood are you using that with? If I understand correctly you're getting the gel stain into the fresh grooves you've engraved to create more contrast?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Raphael Weil View Post
    That's a picture taken inside the laser bed mid-engrave. The machine broke down at that step. He has several panels side by side by side. Nothing was painted. You can see where the laser head stopped.
    Then why is the pattern right at that line different on either side? It's close, but different. Those are two (or more) pieces...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I've used on any wood that I felt like I didn't get a good enough contrast, although I have never tried it on plywood. You understand correctly in that the gel stain settles into the fresh "grooves" made by the laser. Again, I always finish/shellac my wood prior to engraving. That way, if I apply the gel stain, it wipes off the surface easy without changing the surface color. leaving the darker stain in the engraving.
    Live Oak Forge
    40W Epilog Mini 18
    Shopbot 32"x24"x6" PRT
    Shopbot 48"x48"x6" PRS
    Next Engine Scanner
    Artcam
    CorelDRAW X5
    Multiple and various other implements of destruction

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Then why is the pattern right at that line different on either side? It's close, but different. Those are two (or more) pieces...
    It's 4 skateboards side by side by side. The laser stopped right after the point you see there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Munroe View Post
    I've used on any wood that I felt like I didn't get a good enough contrast, although I have never tried it on plywood. You understand correctly in that the gel stain settles into the fresh "grooves" made by the laser. Again, I always finish/shellac my wood prior to engraving. That way, if I apply the gel stain, it wipes off the surface easy without changing the surface color. leaving the darker stain in the engraving.
    Very cool. I'll try and figure this out without gel, but if that's what it takes I'll try. Just got really nice contrast on ply just by doing a 2nd pass, curious how much darker the gel would take it.

Here's another from the same artist, can clearly see it's some sort of effect happening in the plywood. Either naturally or with a gel. There's no painting going on here that I can tell. This is maple ply

smuglabs_1389299587.jpg

Here's another from the same artist, can clearly see it's some sort of effect happening in the plywood.
    Can't tell how deep the engraving is there, but it's certainly possible that it's getting all the way through the top layer into the glue and burning it black. (see post #6 above)
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Judging by the darkening on the non-ingraved ares of those two cards, I would guess that is some sort of applied stain.
    Brian Lamb
    Lamb Tool Works, Custom tools for woodworkers
    Equipment: Felder KF700 and AD741, Milltronics CNC Mill, Universal Laser X-600

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Lamb View Post
    Judging by the darkening on the non-ingraved ares of those two cards, I would guess that is some sort of applied stain.
    Ya I see that now. So mask it, engrave it, spray it. I'll have to try and see what it yields.

Not really masked, like what Bill Munroe said, have a finish on the wood, laser it and then wipe stain on the engraving and it will wipe off the top, except where there might be enough surface imperfection to hold any stain. That's what I see in the cards below, like they have linear scratches from sanding in the top surface... you can see a bit of the stain hanging in there and muddying up the top surface. At least that's my guess from the pictures....
    Brian Lamb
    Lamb Tool Works, Custom tools for woodworkers
    Equipment: Felder KF700 and AD741, Milltronics CNC Mill, Universal Laser X-600

Yes, this looks like it was stained after engraving to darken, as you can see the bleeding into the grain. I get that result when I engrave and stain the lasered area. That's a method I use often, but the sanding doesn't always get all of the bleeding out. What I'll often do to minimize the bleed is to engrave, sand, sealcoat, then stain the engraved area. I'll use Restor a finish (dark oak) for the stain. It looks natural, and works pretty well.

Here's another from the same artist, can clearly see it's some sort of effect happening in the plywood. Either naturally or with a gel. There's no painting going on here that I can tell. This is maple ply

smuglabs_1389299587.jpg
    This is one I did on baltic birch using that process:
    guinn2.jpg
    Last edited by Don Corbeil; 04-14-2016 at 6:10 PM.

Don Corbeil

AutoCAD 2000i

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corbeil View Post
    Yes, this looks like it was stained after engraving to darken, as you can see the bleeding into the grain. I get that result when I engrave and stain the lasered area. That's a method I use often, but the sanding doesn't always get all of the bleeding out. What I'll often do to minimize the bleed is to engrave, sand, sealcoat, then stain the engraved area. I'll use Restor a finish (dark oak) for the stain. It looks natural, and works pretty well.

This is one I did on baltic birch using that process:
    guinn2.jpg
    Curious how you stain just the engraved area (I gather the sealcoat is spray on everything before?). Do you just wipe off the stain from the non-engraved area and let the engraved area retain the stain? Thank!

yes just wipe off the stain the engraved area will hold the stain the finished area will wipe off.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander