Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Universal vs Trotec

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    I still say you'd achieve the same speed increase by putting a 4" lens on and running at 250 dpi.
    The possible resolution drops with a 4" lens. Imagine a 4 dots in a square. Either one laser makes all four dots, one at a time, or two lasers makes two dots at a time. Jumping to a long FL lens means those four dots are now much bigger and kinda mush into one, lowering resolution... not good for the overall product if detail is what you're after.

I recall some mention elsewhere of a high speed motor... probably some piezo-type that wiggles the final beam back and forth. That aligns with what I was talking about earlier... but as that speed goes up, you start to run into the issue shown by Paul's pictures (one of the other issues I briefly mentioned).

It would just be really nice if we had some more detail on how the system actually accomplishes the job so we can put this one to bed without guessing.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    The possible resolution drops with a 4" lens. Imagine a 4 dots in a square. Either one laser makes all four dots, one at a time, or two lasers makes two dots at a time. Jumping to a long FL lens means those four dots are now much bigger and kinda mush into one, lowering resolution... not good for the overall product if detail is what you're after.

I recall some mention elsewhere of a high speed motor... probably some piezo-type that wiggles the final beam back and forth. That aligns with what I was talking about earlier... but as that speed goes up, you start to run into the issue shown by Paul's pictures (one of the other issues I briefly mentioned).

It would just be really nice if we had some more detail on how the system actually accomplishes the job so we can put this one to bed without guessing.
    Yeah, I get that you lose the smaller dot, I was only using that as an example of being able to suddenly, with a larger dot, say "We engrave twice as fast".
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post

Dan, from the website-
    SuperSpeed - How It Works

When a laser platform is equipped with two CO2 lasers of the same power, the combining optics result in one S-polarized beam and the other P-polarized. The SuperSpeed attachment uses this difference in polarization to independently control the focusing location of each laser. This is accomplished by placing an optical system containing a Thin Film Polarizer (TFP) in the beam path. The TFP allows the P-polarized laser to pass through transparently, while reflecting the S-polarized beam. A precision actuator is attached to a mechanical linkage, which controls the angle between the two beams. The focusing optics in the carriage focuses each of these beams to a slightly different location within the processing field.

In raster mode, the carriage is moved bi-directionally along the x-axis while the laser is modulated to mark and engrave on the material. Typical systems focus the laser energy to a single point, causing the material to be processed one line at a time. This is also true for single beam systems that use multiple lasers – all of the laser’s energy is limited to focusing on a single point. The SuperSpeed module overcomes this limitation by producing two focal spots – one for each laser beam. This means that the system can deliver two raster lines at a time, dramatically improving system productivity.
    Universal PLS 6.120D 75 watt
    MutiCam Apex CNC 4'x8' w 6 bit TC.
    EnrRoute 6 Pro 3d software.
    Vision 2550 Rotary Engraver.

Here's my latest experience with trotec tech support. This morning I had a lull in some projects so I decided to update both job control and firmware for my speedy 300. Went to ftp site, downloaded both files. Updated job control, no problem. Firmware, I call the tech support and ask them to give some good instructions on how to update. He sends me an email that basically says open up hood, turn on, then update. So, wanting to be very precise in this, I ask for explicit instructions, just step by step please. He writes back and says if you read the message it says how to do it. I go back over message, and there isn't much there. So I open hood, turn on machine, go to update firmware, and attempt to do so. Failure. OK, so it doesn't take, and I can see that the firmware is still the old version. I call tech support back, and tell him what happened. He logs into my PC remotely and walks through the steps. It looks like it's gonna go, and then he says to shut machine off. I do, and then restart. I get the dreaded 'failure to update firmware' message. Now, when we turn on my 300, there's nothing, no lights, no connection whatsoever to the machine. It's dead. So he trys a bunch of stuff remotely, which does nothing. He then tells me I'm going to have to have a new CPU put into the 300. Wow, great. I've got work that's in the hopper and my machine is dead in the water. He makes a subtle suggestion that it may have been my fault that my first attempt to update didn't work. I tell him that the machine was still working and talking to my job control after that first attempt, and it was only when he asked me to shut it down (apparently) prematurely that the problem started. Besides, I say, I did ask for very specific instructions on a step by step basis to update, which they never gave me. So now I'm dead in the water, and waiting for an overnight delivery of a new CPU which I have to replace myself. This better work. I'm not happy on the level of communication that they initially offered, even after I asked for specifics. Like I mentioned in my previous post, sometimes their support just seems a little hurried and sloppy when you ask for help. The tech worked hard to get it up and going after the problem occurred, but in my mind this all could have been avoided. Not happy at the moment. My 300 is still under warranty, so that's good, but even if it wasn't they need to make this right. Keeping my fingers crossed that the new CPU will work, and it's not too much trouble to replace. Not real happy at the moment
    Last edited by Don Corbeil; 03-24-2016 at 3:18 PM.

Don Corbeil

AutoCAD 2000i

Yea I would be pretty upset also. Sure would make me think again about buying a trotec. At the prices they charge their support should be top notch.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Hi hope they get it resolved for you Don. Agreed, they currently seem to not have enough techs for their growing install base.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corbeil View Post
    Here's my latest experience with trotec tech support. This morning I had a lull in some projects so I decided to update both job control and firmware for my speedy 300. Went to ftp site, downloaded both files. Updated job control, no problem. Firmware, I call the tech support and ask them to give some good instructions on how to update. He sends me an email that basically says open up hood, turn on, then update. So, wanting to be very precise in this, I ask for explicit instructions, just step by step please. He writes back and says if you read the message it says how to do it. I go back over message, and there isn't much there. So I open hood, turn on machine, go to update firmware, and attempt to do so. Failure. OK, so it doesn't take, and I can see that the firmware is still the old version. I call tech support back, and tell him what happened. He logs into my PC remotely and walks through the steps. It looks like it's gonna go, and then he says to shut machine off. I do, and then restart. I get the dreaded 'failure to update firmware' message. Now, when we turn on my 300, there's nothing, no lights, no connection whatsoever to the machine. It's dead. So he trys a bunch of stuff remotely, which does nothing. He then tells me I'm going to have to have a new CPU put into the 300. Wow, great. I've got work that's in the hopper and my machine is dead in the water. He makes a subtle suggestion that it may have been my fault that my first attempt to update didn't work. I tell him that the machine was still working and talking to my job control after that first attempt, and it was only when he asked me to shut it down (apparently) prematurely that the problem started. Besides, I say, I did ask for very specific instructions on a step by step basis to update, which they never gave me. So now I'm dead in the water, and waiting for an overnight delivery of a new CPU which I have to replace myself. This better work. I'm not happy on the level of communication that they initially offered, even after I asked for specifics. Like I mentioned in my previous post, sometimes their support just seems a little hurried and sloppy when you ask for help. The tech worked hard to get it up and going after the problem occurred, but in my mind this all could have been avoided. Not happy at the moment. My 300 is still under warranty, so that's good, but even if it wasn't they need to make this right. Keeping my fingers crossed that the new CPU will work, and it's not too much trouble to replace. Not real happy at the moment
    Trotec Speedy 400 120w, Trotec Speedy 300 80w
    Thunderlaser Mars-130 with EFR 130w tube
    Signature Rotary Engravers (2)
    Epson F6070 Large Format Printer, Geo Knight Air Heat Presses (2)

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    Yea I would be pretty upset also. Sure would make me think again about buying a trotec. At the prices they charge their support should be top notch.
    And to add insult to injury, even though it happened under the tech's control (remote assistance), he just sent me a followup email that said they want to bill me for the cost of expedited shipping the new CPU! I immediately called them back, couldn't get a hold of the tech who sent it to me (naturally). So I asked to speak to the head of operations at trotec, and told her the story. She was very apologetic and said NO way should I be expected to pay for a fix to a problem I did not create. She also told me that there is a specific instruction sheet that should have been sent to me to go over the step by step instructions on how to do the firmware update. As I mentioned, techs never sent that to me. If it wasn't for how she handled my complaint, and her willingness to followup thoroughly with me, I'd be going ballistic right now.

Don Corbeil

AutoCAD 2000i

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corbeil View Post
    So I asked to speak to the head of operations at trotec, and told her the story. She was very apologetic and said NO way should I be expected to pay for a fix to a problem I did not create. She also told me that there is a specific instruction sheet that should have been sent to me to go over the step by step instructions on how to do the firmware update. As I mentioned, techs never sent that to me. If it wasn't for how she handled my complaint, and her willingness to followup thoroughly with me, I'd be going ballistic right now.
    I'm assuming that was Amie? Amie's the best. She's been there for a long time, cut her teeth on technical problems and knows how to take care of customers. She used to be really involved in day to day issues with customers. Now, she's been promoted and isn't as easy to get to as she used to be.

I miss Amie She's not only one of the best Trotec has, she's one of the best in the industry.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Yes sounds like Amie, she's very good. There are a couple others that are great as well there.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    I'm assuming that was Amie? Amie's the best. She's been there for a long time, cut her teeth on technical problems and knows how to take care of customers. She used to be really involved in day to day issues with customers. Now, she's been promoted and isn't as easy to get to as she used to be.

I miss Amie She's not only one of the best Trotec has, she's one of the best in the industry.
    Trotec Speedy 400 120w, Trotec Speedy 300 80w
    Thunderlaser Mars-130 with EFR 130w tube
    Signature Rotary Engravers (2)
    Epson F6070 Large Format Printer, Geo Knight Air Heat Presses (2)

Yes, it was Amie, and she does know how to treat customers!
    I am so thankful I reached her, as I didn't know who to talk to there after the last message from the tech. I actually feel like this will get resolved now.
    Last edited by Don Corbeil; 03-24-2016 at 4:53 PM.

Don Corbeil

AutoCAD 2000i

Trotec has been very lucky to have Amie on their staff. She has more engraving experience than any of them, including experience with rotary machines and Newing Hall before she started in the early days with Trotec. In my view, she's the primary reason Trotec has grown so rapidly in the U.S. She has a customer focus unlike anybody I know.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Phillips View Post
    Dan, from the website-
    SuperSpeed - How It Works
    Looks like they're using a special final optic to handle the two polarizations... definitely better than trying to twiddle the final optic mechanically, but it also means the final optic is not the same as most others have on their machines (i.e., it'll be more expensive). Anyone out there confirm the final optic is specially coated and I'm not missing something else in the description?
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Replaced my speedy 300 CPU, and my machine is up and running again
    Trotec Tech gave me his personal number (they were off today) and walked me through it. Relieved that experience is over.

Don Corbeil

AutoCAD 2000i