Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: For those who have installed Windows 10, what do you think of it?

My biggest concerns are software application upgrades for Windows 10. Some software companies aren't/can't modify pre-Windows 10 application and seems like I would be force to buy new software. I'm already looking at more than $1000 possible for upgrades unless there's some patch or ability for Windows 10 to run in older formats.

As a power user (Audio / video professional) I absolutely LOVE Win10.

They've gotten rid of all the bloat that Win8 had, and made it very easy to customize the GUI, so guys like me don't have to wade through all that "Mom & Pop" and "connect all your mobile devices!" nonsense. I now prefer my windows machines to my beloved Mac Pro. In fact, I may never buy another Mac, except to have a cheap one for (more safely) using the internet.

Win10 is also vastly more efficient, having significantly less DPC latency than even Win7. - Except for the new LAN driver, which is a nightmare and should immediately be replaced with a Win7 - era version.

Blog Entries
    I'm sticking with Windows 7. I like it, I'm used to it.

PHM

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Orbine View Post
    My biggest concerns are software application upgrades for Windows 10. Some software companies aren't/can't modify pre-Windows 10 application and seems like I would be force to buy new software. I'm already looking at more than $1000 possible for upgrades unless there's some patch or ability for Windows 10 to run in older formats.
    I'm running several older programs and so far they work just fine in Windows 10, one is from 2009, two were last updated in 2010 another is from 2011.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 01-23-2016 at 11:34 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Henderson View Post
    I refuse to update to any version of Windows until after at least the first service pack,
    You may be waiting a long time. For now, Microsoft is no longer doing service packs. Fixes, patches & upgrades are installed as they're deemed ready. There was a honkin' big update a couple weeks ago that some regard as a service pack.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 01-25-2016 at 7:42 AM. Reason: spelling

I liked 7, but, chances are I'm going to outlive support for 7.
    I installed 10 because I doubt I'll outlive support for 10.

(although events of 2016 so far lead me to think I may have erred about outliving 7...... 2016 hasn't been kind to me so far.)

I refuse to update to any version of Windows until after at least the first service pack,
    Then go ahead and upgrade.
    MS already had the massive update that would qualify as a service pack back in November.
    Last edited by Rich Engelhardt; 01-24-2016 at 8:29 AM.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Whats not to like. In my opinion its a vast improvement over 8 and far better than any other version of Windows.

Quote Originally Posted by David Masters View Post
    Just picked up a laptop for my wife which has Windows 10 pre-installed. I'm still getting use to it as I set it up for her. My first impression is that I am annoyed by the changes, but I expect this will pass. Most annoying is that the Metro tiles show up when I press the Start button. I'll have to see if there is a way around this.

Dave
    You can easily delete the tiles...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Most annoying is that the Metro tiles show up when I press the Start button. I'll have to see if there is a way around this.
    You can also spend $3 for Start is Back, and get a Windows 7 like Start menu. I use it in 8.1, and it's great.
    Gerry

JointCAM

Quote Originally Posted by Paul McGaha View Post
    I'm sticking with Windows 7. I like it, I'm used to it.

PHM

I finally caved and did the Win10 upgrade on my laptop, previously running Win7 Home Premium, and I really don't notice any difference. I'd say it's a bit quicker in coming out of sleep/hibernation, which is a definite plus. And this is on a 6-ish year old laptop with one foot in the grave.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

I have upgraded 6 windows 7 systems to win 10. Not going to go back to 7 on any of them. Quite happy with 10, and have had no unresolved issues! A bit of a learning curve, but no worse than any other upgrade I,ve seen. Way less problems then 8 was.

Just picked up a laptop for my wife which has Windows 10 pre-installed. I'm still getting use to it as I set it up for her. My first impression is that I am annoyed by the changes, but I expect this will pass. Most annoying is that the Metro tiles show up when I press the Start button. I'll have to see if there is a way around this.

Dave
    Just right-click and delete the ones you don't want.