Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seeking advice: Selling vehicle to buyer in another state who you do not know?....

Show me the money

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    Hoping for some advice on this. A gentleman from NY state is interested in a car I have for sale and has proposed a funds transfer as a means of payment and would (I assume) dispatch a private towing service to pick the vehicle up. He contacted me blindly via a car forum I am on (in other words, not a regular member I know; joined to email me about it...). I have done face-to-face sales and am clear on the usual title being signed, docs being submitted to the DMV and so forth but an trying to see if there is some "angle" I haven't foreseen that would make this not what it appears. A wire transfer can't be reversed but it seems odd to me that a person would just offer to do the transfer and put his whole trust in my hands in terms of turning over the vehicle, the docs, everything. The interested party seems straightforward in our communications so far but he does not really know me, either. Can't help but feel there is something I am missing here.

Thanks in advance,

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA
    This smells like rotten fish; like one big scam. Especially this part, "has proposed a funds transfer as a means of payment and would (I assume) dispatch a private towing service to pick the vehicle up."

Who writes and speaks that way? For one the spam type emails.
    If it is what I think it may be, this guy (or person) is not in New York. He is probably in Africa, more than likely Nigeria.

A few years ago i was selling a PVC Garden Arbor I bought from Home Depot, because my wife found one she liked better. I listed it on Craigs' List at maybe 80% of new price and pointed out it was in good shape, already assembled and the buyer would not have to pay 8% sales tax.

Some guy responded that is exactly what he had been searching for, for a very long time and wanted it badly. A day or two later he said he had to leave the Denver area suddenly to New York to take care of his sister's medical needs. He wanted to send me $1,500 and I was to cash the money order keep my asking price of about $100. Of the extra $1,400 i was supposed to pay his agent, some guy that was going to stop and pick it up and ship it for him. The agent's fee was unknown, but i was supposed to pay his asking fee, and wire the excess money back to the buyer. I smelled a fish early on but thought I am going to play with this guy to see where it goes.

Why would someone want this readily available item in Home Depots across the US, so bad to go thru such gyrations?

In one email he wanted to know what shape it was in. That was my chance to play. I started describing a lwan mower as a test. I responded the blade was bent, the handles were a little rusty and it leaked a little oil but otherwise it worked fine. He or they never read the email. I sort of suspect things were done in automation.

I did a lot of online searching. His phone number was a big clue and showed up on scam sites all over the place. He was in Nigrea according to several sites. He did send me a money order via FedEx, (from yet another state) that appeared real as could be; from some bank that did not exist, someplace in Texas. I forget where the FedEx package originated from but it was probably a third party contract mailing service.

The scam was 1.) cashing it would cause issues with my bank as it was a bogus financial instrutment. 2.) I would get no money, but 3.) in trouble with my bank, and 4.) maybe the law, and 5.) if I sent any real money, I would be out that money.

I did nothing, but stopped responding to him, kept the Money Order and have a good story to tell.

Recently we attracted another such buyer. Same deal, an online ad for an expensive evening gown that is too large for my wife after she lost weight. The fish smell came up again when the buyer wants to repeat a similar transaction with a "Transfer of funds", plus she knows she wants the $350 dress, but never ask to try it on.

A thought provoking question is, would your vehicle not sell locally? Without taking risks on a big ticket item?
    If I was selling a vehicle several states away, I would pay a legitimate vehicle broker their commission, remove all risk and be happy with hard proceeds (good funds) in hand and have all the paper work legal, bill of sale, title transfer, etc. etc.

What makes your vehicle so special, that someone in New York is shopping for a vehicle in Texas? Don't they sell what you have in New York, or New Jersey? Where do you shop for vehicles; 5 or 15 states away...

Your first warning sign is your gut says something is wrong with this deal. Stick to your instinct.
    Also when you are the seller, you are the person that is supposed to receive payment, not send funds.
    And they do not get the vehicle or the title until financial instruments have had adequate time to clear the banking chain.

I agree with the others on the cash. Just be careful where a lot of cash is involved. Have him maybe meet you at your bank to pickup the car, so you can immediately deposit the funds.

Blog Entries
    Cash, check or wire is not a problem but, no one gets the car until the funds have cleared and are in your hand. If that is agreeable, anything else can be worked out.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

What rings my bell here is the parallel to the very popular scam against online listings where someone will offer to buy the "item", wire money or send a bank check and have their "shipper" pick up the item. Often the money comes in at a higher amount and they claim a mistake and ask you to refund the difference. (the bank check subsequently bounces or the wire is withdrawn and you are out the money you refunded. Etc.

Even bank checks take time to clear...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hoping for some advice on this. A gentleman from NY state is interested in a car I have for sale and has proposed a funds transfer as a means of payment and would (I assume) dispatch a private towing service to pick the vehicle up. He contacted me blindly via a car forum I am on (in other words, not a regular member I know; joined to email me about it...). I have done face-to-face sales and am clear on the usual title being signed, docs being submitted to the DMV and so forth but an trying to see if there is some "angle" I haven't foreseen that would make this not what it appears. A wire transfer can't be reversed but it seems odd to me that a person would just offer to do the transfer and put his whole trust in my hands in terms of turning over the vehicle, the docs, everything. The interested party seems straightforward in our communications so far but he does not really know me, either. Can't help but feel there is something I am missing here.

Thanks in advance,

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA
    to me it sounds like a scam because they propose to transfer funds of an unspecified amount and then you get to refund the balance, if any, as a sign of the trust they put in you. The seller then thinks "what can go wrong" at this point. as many have mentioned "cash only" is the way to go. These nigerian scammers need to be taken down in my opinion.

Well, I am going to call the guy today so that should be interesting.

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA
    That should be an interesting phone call!

I bought me latest car this way.

I sent the dealership the Bank Wire.
    They confirmed receipt of payment.

They sent me the title by certified mail.

I arranged to have the car delivered.

I saved nearly $4000 over what was being asked for the same vehicle in Massachusetts.

Check with your Bank about getting paid.
    If the money's real - so's the deal.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    I bought me latest car this way.

I sent the dealership the Bank Wire.
    They confirmed receipt of payment.

They sent me the title by certified mail.

I arranged to have the car delivered.

I saved nearly $4000 over what was being asked for the same vehicle in Massachusetts.

Check with your Bank about getting paid.
    If the money's real - so's the deal.
    The dealership has a LOT more legal muscle behind it than an individual should things go south.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

So how'd that go?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cozad View Post
    So how'd that go?
    I got tied up on the phone for most of the day so could not take time to call him but we emailed a bit. Sounds whacky but I think he is legit. A kid or young man, really wants the car (it's an Acura RSX built for rally/road racing). Let everyone know how it goes when I do talk to him. Thanks,

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA