Thread: Mystery Vise ID?

Mystery Vise ID?

This clamping device was on CL with the saw vise I just posted. It has a cam locking system similar to many saw vises, but the jaws are thin and long. There are 2 feet at either ends of the jaws. The jaws also piviot in 1 direction as shown in 1 of the photos but stop at 90 degrees. The inner face of one jaw is lined with a softer material like felt or leather. There is only a single screw hole at the bottom which I imagine would secure it to a work table of some sort. The words on the jaw look to be possibly "GUNN & HANNAK P G W, PA and PAT"D JULY 16,95 & NOV 24,96". I found nothing on Google search. I only gave $15 for it with the real saw vise (total $30) so no big loss.

Any ideas on actual function of this device from the extensive braintrust here? Thanks for any input.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

Did this come from the Adirondacks?

I'm thinking larger than your average shop saw,
    and employed in the position you have displayed.

I think the back "legs" are designed to keep a portion of a logging saw (or bandsaw)
    up off the bench high enough to pass a file.

Blog Entries
    I found nothing on Google search.
    You didn't search > patent july 16, 1895 gunn <

http://www.datamp.org/patents/advanc...id=13260&set=1

Which leads to this:

http://www.google.com/patents/US571742

It is listed as a saw clamp of some kind.

Read the information down the page at the second link. My eyes are trying to close on me right now.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Wow-Thanks Jim K. I did not google enough. Great info. Still seems a little light weight for filing saws to me. But what do I know ?

Jim M.-not sure of origin-I got it near Albany, NY. Jim K. forund some interesting patent info.
    Last edited by Don Orr; 09-03-2013 at 9:35 AM.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

I've got a modern variant of this, and it's about 1/2 this size.

I still think this was intended to be carried to the site, and used to sharpen logging saws.
    It appears from the patent description that the rear tines were driven into a bench top to hold everything in place.

If you were carrying it to a remote logging camp, weight would be a consideration.

Cool tool, it's an excellent find.