Thread: Any Lie-Nielsen Panel saw users?

Blog Entries

Any Lie-Nielsen Panel saw users?

I have a few panel saws now, an 18" D8 and a couple of 22" ones, a D8 and a #12; all from around the turn of the last century. Now that I've figured out how to do a semi-respectable job of sharpening them I find myself using them a lot.

However, I would like to get a 20" to fill the gap. I noticed that LN makes exactly that and wonder what experiences people have had with one.
    How do they compare to the Disstons like the ones I'm used to?

I have a couple of LN backsaws, so I know they can make an excellent saw. Just wondering how their panel saw stacks up.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.
    - Mike

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I used when at a show once. They are of course good panel saws. But quite honestly, I think the 20" 9ppi a Atkins I restored and filed to my own specs is nicer. Again the LNs, are what what you would expect, but handsaw/panel saws are one place where I prefer vintage if you can find a good one.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

What makes you not want to use the saws you have? Do they not have the tooth pitch you want?

Blog Entries
    Considering a LN costs more than I paid for all three of my current panel saws I certainly see the value in buying vintage. But the same could be said for planes. I have plenty of old tools, and enjoy using them. But it's also nice to use some new, top of the line ones as well. I wouldn't hesitate to fill the gap with a nice #12, or the Atkins equivalent, but I also wouldn't mind have new panel saw in the till if it's quality is outstanding.
    - Mike

Blog Entries
    @David

I do use the ones I have, and like them. But they are all x-cut with three different PPI. If I do buy a LN, it would be the rip version.

Vintage panel saws filed rip are not common.
    - Mike

I own a pair, and they're dead sharp.

I don't think they're better than a well-tuned vintage saw.
    Have a look at progressive rake tooth shapes, to get more out of one of your longer saws.

I'm finding more and more that a fine tooth saw with minimal set, filed to rip cut does nearly everything I need.

When he's making saws again, I recommend something from our own Ron Bontz.
    His saws are well balanced, and appear to be made from the same steel as the LN saws (which I believe are made for them).

Ron's saws cost more, but they're worth the money.

I've got one rip and one crosscut from LN and really like them. I'm new to hand sawing though and my only comparison is a hand me down crosscut that someone in my WW group gave me. The LN saws are a LOT lighter, sharp as can be, and a pleasure to use. As I use them more and more though I do get the itch for a couple more inches of length, but not much. I really only use them for stock breakdown.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cogswell View Post
    @David

I do use the ones I have, and like them. But they are all x-cut with three different PPI. If I do buy a LN, it would be the rip version.

Vintage panel saws filed rip are not common.
    Turning a saw from rip to cross cut if you run across one where you don't have to change the TPI is relatively quick. I've done it twice. The second time, rather than spending a lot of time filing, I just moved the rake towards 0 over a few sharpenings rather than do it all in one sitting.
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Pierce View Post
    Turning a saw from rip to cross cut if you run across one where you don't have to change the TPI is relatively quick. I've done it twice. The second time, rather than spending a lot of time filing, I just moved the rake towards 0 over a few sharpenings rather than do it all in one sitting.
    I've thought about doing that with my 22" D8, which is currently 9ppi x-cut. The downside is that is a really fast cutting panel saw.

Returning to the scheduled program, I'm hoping to hear from more LN panel saw owners, hopefully ones who also have a vintage panel saw to compare it to.
    - Mike