Thread: Need Alignment Help

Need Alignment Help

I am using a Mercury 25 watt engraving machine and we are trying to engrave Alumimark nameplates.

I have created a template in CorelDraw X5 which has a rectangle that is 2.5" x 1" (size of the nameplate)
    Using a piece of acrylic I cut out this shape and then inserted the nameplate into the template.
    Using the same template, I typed three letters in Times New Roman, 36pt font (LFA).
    I selected the text, then SHIFT and selected the box and did a C and E to center the text horizontally and vertically.

When I view the finished engraved piece, it is perfectly aligned on the horizontal, but the vertical is off just a mm or two.

I tried to demonstrate this by drawing a line from the top horizontal of the box to the top of the first letter, then drawing the same sized line from the bottom horizontal to the botton of the first letter. You can see from the picture the word is definitely not centered on the horizontal.

nameplate.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Convert the text to curves and try again, it will probably align properly. Text vs curves align differently.

Gary

That was text as curves. I've done it both ways, same results. If I convert to curves, then break curves apart, I can get the F to align properly.

The "A" is slightly taller.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Harman View Post
    The "A" is slightly taller.
    Hmm, I didn't notice that. Is there an easy way to convert all the text to the exact same height?

Not that I know of but you could type "LF", center it vertically, type the "A" then center it horizontally.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

7. convert to curves , then break curve apart, select each individual letter and re-size.

The letters in the font are not necessarily the same size in height or width. If you want them the same height follow the advice others have offered.

I would be inclined to align the curves to the base then group and align to the center.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

That is the way the font is created.
    If you need to have all of the characters same height convert it to curves, pull down guide lines and adjust each one by playing with the nodes. "S" and some other letters are considerably taller than most.
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 60w, with Quatro CSA-626 fume extraction
    Xenetech 1625 x2,
    New Hermes TX pantograph, CG4 cutter grinder
    Brady Globalmark2 label printer,
    Assortment of custom tooling , shears & punches, heat bender.
    Software: Xenetech XOT, Corel X3, Bartender label software

It is probably the enlarged "A" that is causing the perceived alignment issue. Corel will draw an invisible bounding box around a shape and then find the center of the shape. Then it aligns that center point in the vertical and horizontal directions. So Corel is doing it correctly, it is just that you do not have a uniform sized piece of text. In this case, I would probably cheat on the font design and make the characters a uniform height, and then do the alignment.

Many fonts, like TNR, have different heights for the characters, which gives the font its mojo. In TNR, the heights vary, but the baseline is fixed.
    Break the text apart. Center the text vertically. Then select each character and set the height to a size of your choice. You can eanble the proportion lock or not (your choice). This should make all characters the same height and on center.
    Do they really need to be that precise?