Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: vector help! Not vectoring smoothly.

vector help! Not vectoring smoothly.

I have a epilog legend ext 60 watt. Today i was making some sample blocks and noticed that they arn't coming out smoothly and instead squiggly. Has anyone had this problem or might know the cause?IMAG0344.jpg

It looks like a bad trace but I know that is not what the art looks like.. With that said do a cleaning clean the encoder strip and the assembly it should clear up
    Craig Matheny
    Anaheim, Ca
    45 watt Epilog Laser, 60 watt Epilog Laser,
    Plasma Cutter, MiG Welder
    Rikon 70-100 Lathe
    Shop Smith V510, To many hand Tools and
    Universal Repair Kit (1- Hammer and 1- Roll of Duck Tape)

I'd agree. Looks like a bad trace to me.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

The file is a good trace i drew it in autocad. I was thinking it might be a vibration problem?
    Attached Files Attached Files

I just ran the file after I un grouped it all and then merged the file together it seems to run fine check your encode strip something seems to be messed up
    Craig Matheny
    Anaheim, Ca
    45 watt Epilog Laser, 60 watt Epilog Laser,
    Plasma Cutter, MiG Welder
    Rikon 70-100 Lathe
    Shop Smith V510, To many hand Tools and
    Universal Repair Kit (1- Hammer and 1- Roll of Duck Tape)

Ok thanks will do.

Blog Entries
    That looks like mechanical problems... make sure your carriage is on the track solidly, the lens is securely screwed in, and there's no play in the belt and idler pulley.

Cool effect, if you can repeat it on command
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by james burchfield View Post
    The file is a good trace i drew it in autocad. I was thinking it might be a vibration problem?
    It could be a vibration problem. If your laser is not on a sturdy table, or your air compressor shares the same table as your laser, that could cause a problem. The air compressor could vibrate enough to make the table & laser wobble. I would still check for mechanical issues like loose belts or it needs cleaning inside.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

I think Dan has it - check the lens assembly is done up tight.
    Epilog Legend 32EX 60W

Precision Prototypes, Romsey, UK

it's possible that your bearings are shot or that you have dirt on the bearing tracks.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

What speed did you run this at?
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Two things here. Check and clean your x encoder strip (its under the blue cover. Next, disable your x/y on the front panel menu. Now over on the left hand side of your machine, there is a transfer pulley from the y axis motor up to long rod on the front of the machine, at the ends of these rods, that is where your left and right y axis belts interface. Move the carriage slowly in the y direction and watch the transfer pulleys and the pulleys on the belts. See if they are slipping at all. There are two allen set screws that hold those pulleys against flat spots on the rods. If any of these set screws are loose, they need to be tightened. I use standard loctite on these as they have a tendency to get loose about once every two years or so on us. I have a 36 ext also and when I had problems, it ended up looking like what you posted.

run speed

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    What speed did you run this at?
    I run it at 70 speed 10 power.

A lot of great advice.... To half split to Artwork or Mechanical of the machine.... Draw a Circle and Rectangle in Corel and see what happens... We do this all the time with the CarveWright CNC to fix bad carvings.... Art or Bearings....

AL
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".

Thank you everyone for your help and advice. It turns out it was the decoder strip was a little dirty.