Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A bit of organization!

Blog Entries
    I am no where near OCD. But, if no one moves anything, I pretty much know where it all is. At least that's what I tell my wife. The upside is, I may have chance of living longer.... in a state of confusion.

It all looks good John!
    Have a Nice Day!

Quote Originally Posted by Wally Dickerman View Post
    Sheesh....I am associating with neat freaks!!!
    I suppose the down side to not being a neat freak is that you might just be some other kind of freak.

Guess I better order some sandpaper organizers and a broom....
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll

Wally said it all... scheech! How the heck do you find anything in there?
    David DeCristoforo

Sheesh....I am associating with neat freaks!!!
    my only requirement is that i do not have anything under my feet/shoes, adjust tool rest 5 times, sweep shavings aside

does anyone file their toolrest before starting????

When I find that my lathe is getting shorter it means that I'm standing on several inches of wood chips. Get out the shovel!!

Looks kind of like an operating room if you ask me.

When I'm turning green wood, I let the shavings sit on the floor an dry out for a few days before sweeping up so that the bag isn't as heavy going up the stairs.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Dan, I rarely turn green wood, but when I do, I sweep the shavings over to the DC floor sweep, and let them sit for a few days to dry out. I don't want the wet chips/shavings in my fiber drum collector molding and possibly combusting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wally Dickerman View Post
    When I find that my lathe is getting shorter it means that I'm standing on several inches of wood chips. Get out the shovel!!
    Wally, you are hilarious!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie knighton View Post
    does anyone file their toolrest before starting????
    Charlie, I do sand mine off each time and check it. It is starting to sound like I might have some serious issues!! I sure hope there is help available! It doesn't sound like this group can offer much!

Looks good John, I need to get out to the garage and do some cleaning and arranging myself.

Great idea for the sanding disks John. I will definitely not let my wife see the pics of your shop. She's always threatening to come out and clean up a little, that will only give her just cause.
    I was sad because I had no shoes,
    Then I saw a man who had no feet
    ================================
    If you do today what no one else will,
    You'll do tomorrow what no one else can

John,

I love neat shop...any chance for some pictures of the entire layout. My shop is a hybrid between OCD organized and Ninja training ground. Everything has its place, but there are more things than space permits, especially the wood stacks. I do some log & stump balancing acts when walking from any corner to the other. It is hard to let go of nice wood even if I have more than I could hope to turn.

Edward, I posted a shop tour back in mid 2009 in this thread. That was prior to getting a lathe, so there has been a little switching in one corner where the drop down table and clamps were stored. Just shifted the clamps to another corner, and the drop down table doesn't drop down anymore unless I move the lathe!!

Otherwise, it looks pretty much the same. I have a separate area in the metal building in which I store much of my turning wood, and then I have a barn that has flat stock in it, as well as a bunch of green turning wood.

12. Pretty nice digs there, John. I love the spacious shop and the great storage area. Hopefully, one day, I will build something along those lines myself! Hummmmmmm..................the only thing missing is one of those monster size lathes........
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

13. This is my sand paper organizer, I got it from a sheet rock crew, I can take it any place in my shop that, I am working. Please notice that the floor is clean.IMG_1375 (Large).jpg

I have better luck cleaning photos up in photoshop than cleaning the shop

looks nice
    some day I will get organized...
    Carpe Lignum

John, I was late to the shop tour...really nice shop you have there. Mine is in the basement, and very crowded. My sister calls it "the kingdom". I know what you mean when you call it your retreat. I work on an inpatient psychiatric ward, and find that all thoughts of work fade away when I'm down there.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome