Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Free "Wood Handbook" US Forestry Service

Free "Wood Handbook" US Forestry Service

Saw this link is a free-bee from The Forest Products Laboratory- it might not be completely 'free' as our tax $$ provided for it but it doesn't cost anymore out of pocket-

Enjoy!

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/products/pu...00&header_id=p
    Mark

"Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock."
    Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hulette View Post
    Saw this link is a free-bee from The Forest Products Laboratory- it might not be completely 'free' as our tax $$ provided for it but it doesn't cost anymore out of pocket-

Enjoy!

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/products/pu...00&header_id=p
    Most USDA FPL pubs are online. They are a great resource for all things from trees. If you are a sawyer or routinely get a lot of green wood they have a ton of info on air and kiln drying, from small solar kilns to industrial size. Some of the stuff is a bit out of date, but they do a decent job trying to keep it current.

Blog Entries
    I believe they update this every year... I have the 2010 edition.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Schaffter View Post
    Most USDA FPL pubs are online. They are a great resource for all things from trees. If you are a sawyer or routinely get a lot of green wood they have a ton of info on air and kiln drying, from small solar kilns to industrial size. Some of the stuff is a bit out of date, but they do a decent job trying to keep it current.
    not to mention adhesive performance, species selection help based on parasite/weather resilience, etc.

for all of the things that have been forgotten about building wooden structures, the forest service has become a library of sorts of good information that we still do know .

It is an excellent book and incredibly cheap if you buy the hardback version and is one of the nicest books out there in terms of binding/paper/colors etc as basically all the money goes to publishing costs, highly recommended.

Looks like a good book to have, but I can't figure out how to order it?
    Browsed around for 10 minutes, didn't find a link to purchase or order one... It's probably right in front of me, but does anyone have a link to get to an order page?
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

Quote Originally Posted by Dave MacArthur View Post
    Looks like a good book to have, but I can't figure out how to order it?
    Browsed around for 10 minutes, didn't find a link to purchase or order one... It's probably right in front of me, but does anyone have a link to get to an order page?
    May be available via another source but I have this one from Lee Valley. I believe it is one in the same.
    http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...=1,46096,46109

I purchased it some time ago and don't remember paying $36 bucks for it.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

The lastest edition was just published. It's called the "The Centennial Edition" and is dated 2010.

Lee Valley will probably supply the latest edition but you best check before ordering.
    Howie.........

FYI.....the handbook from Lee Valley is an older edition

The FPL just published the 2010 Centennial Edition of the Wood Handbook in June of this year (FPL is 100 years old). At this time it is only available as a PDF download (for free!) from the FPL website (www.fpl.fs.fed.us). The 2010 edition has been completely reedited and has two new chapters.

The FPL is a federal research lab who's mission it is to make available the best available technical information on wood and wood use. We hope you find the information understandable and useful.

Bob Falk
    Research Engineer (and Wood Handbook co-author)
    Forest Products Laboratory
    Madison, Wisconsin

Ok, now that's just cool... Thanks Bob for the info Where else can you find an actual guy from FPL to just chime in within a day of FPL coming up. Love the creek!
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

Blog Entries
    Hey Bob, if I email you my copy, will you sign it?
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Thanks to Mark for bringing this to our attention, and to Bob for his input.

This is a stunning publication. Does anyone know when, if ever, it will be available in book (i.e., "dead tree") form?

I've hit that site for a LOT of species-specific, technical issues, in the past.

Great site. Phenomenal reasource.

Didn't know LV had a hardcover copy of the older edition. NEAT !

Thanks for your work, Bob !

Hoping the new one will come out in a bound edition. Pretty darned expensive to print out, at home

You can have it printed!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Ganssle View Post
    This is a stunning publication. Does anyone know when, if ever, it will be available in book (i.e., "dead tree") form?
    I've never done it but you could send the pdf to Lulu.com, or others, and have a hardcopy produced. Its pretty affordable.

I'm not sure, though, if there are copyright issues.

cheers,

Marc Pelletier