Thread: What's the deal with Xenetech?

What's the deal with Xenetech?

Got a invoice from Xenetech on Saturday, which was October 16th. The "invoice" says the following things :

"Due on Receipt", "Payment Schedule- Due Date 10/01/2010", "$195.00".

Last time I checked, we don't have a service agreement with them. So it seems odd that'd send a bill telling us it's due when we don't have a contract with them. Plus, it's due 15 days prior to us even getting it. On the letter that came with it, it said if we want to cancel it, then we need to write "Cancel" on the invoice and send it back. Huh? So you send me a bill for something we didn't sign up for and tell us that unless we write cancel on it, then it's valid?

Anyone else get the "invoice"?

I understand their "pay for support" setup, but it's the first time I've seen anyone in the engraving market send a invoice like that.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Blog Entries
    Fishing for dollars, maybe? How many big(ger) companies would just send in the money without questions... and then they have you.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Sounds like an opt out thing - IE you automagically subscribed unless you take the trouble to opt out?
    Is that legal in your country?
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Perhaps they discovered that trick from the "yellow pages" industry which has been doing that for years, in the hope that people would pay the bill
    without paying attention.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Phishing for $$$ !!!

Can you send THEM a bill ?!
    Mike

Proud 24-yr USAF Veteran

COMPUTER: Dell Optiplex 620 - XP
    LASER HARDWARE: Pinnacle 25W Mercury,
    LaserPro 50W Explorer
    SOFTWARE: Corel X3, CS4 Suite, Photoshop Web Suite CS3, Solidworks
    FIRMWARE: My brain

xenetech bill

I, too, rec'd this bill in yesterday's mail.. I will be contacting the company for an explanation and will post the response. On page 2, the letter states : " unlimited telephone and email access, 5 % discount on most replacement parts, free updates and upgrades of application software,driver updates and upgrades and unlimited access to the knowledgebase and resources."

Question for others: do Epilog, Univerasal or other companies charge for updates, phone help and the like? If so, at what cost?
    I can see a charge for and offer of yearly contract for phone support but am questioning charge for updates , email support and access to the knowledgebase. I think these should be free to Xenetech owners.

nancyB
    Xenetech xlt1325,
    Corel 13,
    Rayzist 2034 blastcabinet

Blog Entries
    No charge from Universal...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

No charge from Trotec.

No charge from Newing-Hall.
    Last edited by Mike Null; 10-19-2010 at 9:03 AM.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

No charge for Epilog
    Mike

Helix 75W runnin at 89W, Corel X3, Epilog Summit 25W (alive and kickin), CNC mills, lathes, vinyl cutter, Microflame Generator (flame polisher), and all kind of other stuff to keep things interesting

I have never received a charge from Epilog in over seven years but they stopped providing software updates a couple of years ago.

No charge from GCC either
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

No charges ever from Epilog, still get updates for our machine, but it is a newer machine. I suppose older machines that are no longer in production, eventually there would be no support when they get old enough.

That's a new one!

I guess we should all be careful and examine all bills. I would call Xenetech on it and find out what the deal is. Mention to them that none of the U.S. made laser engravers charge for this kind of service.
    I have had excellent support from Epilog, and that was an important reason why I bought a U.S. made laser, and not an import one. If you do call, let us know how you make out. If this is a sign of things to come from Xenetech, then this may also be a deciding factor for the members here when looking to buy another laser...
    Ron
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Epilog Zing 16 (35 Watt)
    Vanguard 3000 (old rotary workhorse)
    Corel Draw 12 & X5
    Sublimation Ricoh GX7000
    Chapellaz's Trophies

I remember one company that would send out domain renewal notices that basically stated "You will lose your domain" if you don't pay NOW!

It was just one company trying to get you to transfer your domain to them. Kinda like switching auto insurance companies.

For those not knowing and the fear of losing their domain, many fell for it sadly enough thinking it was a renewal notice from their registar.
    ULS M-300 30W, CorelDraw X4

Ron, they made a splash in the community when they started charging for tech support about a year ago. It was documented on this and other forums. They clear explained the belief, that you should pay for tech support and they rolled out customer comments on how great their tech support and machines are.

That's fine, I have no problem with that. You want to charge for tech support. No problem. I understand. That's a business decision you have made.

However, I think it's a little on the "used car salesmen" level to send someone an invoice. Not a bill, but an invoice. To me, an invoice implies I have ordered something from you.

It's clearly a database driven thing, as our machine is so old they don't support or upgrade it, so we wouldn't get much for our $195. We haven't called them for support in more than 5 years, I'm guessing, so I'm not in a hurry to get in line for that offer.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.