Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Engraving lighters illegal?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Pelonio View Post
    The most they can do is to invalidate any warranty on their product if engraved by someone else.
    Actually, they can not even do that. Just like adding aftermarket parts to your auto won't invalidate a warranty, neither will engraving. In both case, the work done has to directly impact or cause the failure. See the Magnuson-Mass Warranty Act for more info. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuso...s_Warranty_Act
    VLS 4.60 50 watt w/rotary, Corel X3/X4, Photoshop CS4, Photoshop Elements 7, Windows XP SP3 upgraded from Windows Vista.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out screaming "WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE !!"

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
    I understand the difference. Zippo is saying that personalization is OK. But, that customization is not.

So, what about when a club or organization asks an engraver for 100 lighters marked with the club's logo (copyright approved). And, they have the intent to sell them as a fundraiser. Is it OK to take the job? Zippo is saying no.

K
    Customization, to me would mean changing the fit or function of the lighter, engraving, painting or gluing on decals is personalization, or value added. It's none of there business what you put on it.
    -
    Zing 24 - 40 watts
    Corel X3/X5/X6
    Autocad 2016

Zippo has been hit VERY HEAVILY by counterfeits hurting their bottom dollar over the years.

So they've taken a very aggressive legal approach to anything that might even graze that realm, and have made sure all their employees follow through with that line of thinking, even if it's trivial.

Since they do personalization internally, I suspect that's what you have come across. I bet if you asked them to put it in writing you would get a different attitude =)

Zippo's Lifetime warranty doesn't cover finishes (even if NOT engraved).

When I've sent in lighters to be repaired, they replace the entire insert, re-weld the hinge on the outer case, and ship it back to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Ah, here it is... good ol' Blue Jeans Cable (I've purchased from them in the past, good prices):
    http://www.bluejeanscable.com/legal/...onse041408.pdf

An 8 page response only a (former) lawyer could produce

Now that was an interesting read! I'm sure Monster Cable sent him everything he asked for with-in the 14 day period.. hahaha.. Shooore they did!
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Monster Cables are considered lower than a snakes belly by serious audiophiles world wide - they have sued just about anyone using the word monster - including charitable orgs.
    Cables themselves are contentious - some spend many $1000's on em and others say they make no difference. Monster , in being so aggressive have lost the high roller market and their products have been relegated to the lower end and far less profitable arena. Bose are similar - considered a joke cos of their litigious manner. No audiophile worth their salt would consider buying either of these products - their abuse of the patent and trademark/copyright/whatever law has hurt their chances of building a respected brand among the trendsetters in the hobby.
    As to Zippo - well , I would buy a knock off any day and have , they work just as well at 1/10th of the price - I lose lighters often and would rather lose a cheapy than a genuine way overpriced zippo.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

I awlays had to laugh about the gold connectors both on the back panels of equipment as well as cables. The claims are what they are, but if you open up equipment, it is usually that the gold connector is soldered with a wire, onto a PC board which has copper traces. Yeah...impeadance imsmheadance...

It is low through the cable but at either end (speaker or amp), it basically nullifies any gain you get from "gold" connectors.

Bob Pease wrote some very interesting articles about this in Electronic Design, his column was called pease porridge. Being an electrical engineer, he backed up his disputes with gool old hard data from bench testing.

The old addage about a fool and his money...

Plus, if you have a tin ear, what does it matter?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Ross View Post
    I awlays had to laugh about the gold connectors both on the back panels of equipment as well as cables. The claims are what they are, but if you open up equipment, it is usually that the gold connector is soldered with a wire, onto a PC board which has copper traces. Yeah...impeadance imsmheadance...

It is low through the cable but at either end (speaker or amp), it basically nullifies any gain you get from "gold" connectors.
    The benefit of gold connectors is pretty much zero (IMHO) for high-insertion-force connectors like RCA jacks.

What I've noticed is that for things like microphone plugs, the unplated ones (especially in 1/8") tend to lose conductivity, probably from surface corrosion, if you don't rotate or pull/reinsert every couple of days. The most annoying culprit is the cable between my netbook (AKA "SuperPod") and my stereo: it had that problem with three different cables until I replaced it with a gold-plated one (Radio Shack, not Monster ), which has been stable for several months. (Gold-to-gold would obviously be better in cases like this, but I refuse to speculate what kind of cheap stuff is lurking inside the jack of the netbook.)
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

The cable issue has been the source of raging flames in the audiophile community. My take is that moderate spend on well constructed cables is not material when it comes to some system costs , lets say 5% of the system or a little more is not going to matter. The peace of mind is probably worth it.
    As to hearing differences with various cables , if you think you hear a better sound thru one or another - then even if its psychoacoustic - it's a truism for the listener and they do get benefit for their money.
    Much like spending money on a fine bone china cup cos you swear tea tastes better out of it.

There are unfortunately a lot of snake oil salesmen in the cable world , like a digital cable that had a gel filled casing and another that had led's shine thru a clear gel to improve transmission - offered at $5000 range and so on...
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

9. Quote Originally Posted by Mark Ross View Post
    Isnt the main reason to use gold plated connectors, that they wont oxidize and therefore make better contact. The soldering/wire/copper traces isnt very sensitive to oxidation.

Whew... now that we have that out of the way.... Where can I order lighters that can be engraved using cermark? Anyone help newbie out?
    "Words can hurt. Words can heal. Therefore it is of the utmost importance that we pay attention to our words."
    On the Internet in some quarters, freedom is being abused and used irresponsibly as a smoke screen to communicate in a vulgar, profane, violent, and insulting manner.
    "Freedom requires that at the end of the day, we accept the constraint that is required...."

Quote Originally Posted by doug king View Post
    Whew... now that we have that out of the way.... Where can I order lighters that can be engraved using cermark? Anyone help newbie out?
    Here? ebay

Maybe here:

http://www.google.com/search?q=whole...ient=firefox-a
    Last edited by Mike Null; 08-17-2010 at 7:15 AM. Reason: removed ebay link
    Running Chinese 100w - Glass Tube - in China
    Also have - Universal 660 - in USA

Lighters...

The person that I had been talking to at Zippo told me to contact their head office for clarification on their policy. I chose to go on vacation instead. Ha! I guess they've chosen not to weigh in here directly. Bummer, I love when vendors try to explain/justify policies like this in forums like ours.

Ken