Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8" jointer/planer combos

8" jointer/planer combos

Does anyone besides JET make an 8" jointer/planer combo machine?

I mostly work with scrap pallet wood, in 1x and 2x7 sizes. I think a 6" would be too small for me?

I can't find anything in 8" besides the Jet. How are they for noise? I'm in a basement workshop, only half a level down from the main living area.

There are a few options for combo machines. FWW did a review. I would look for 10" rather than 8" as they are more common. Will be about as loud as a lunch-box planer but less high pitched.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Wilson View Post
    There are a few options for combo machines. FWW did a review. I would look for 10" rather than 8" as they are more common. Will be about as loud as a lunch-box planer but less high pitched.
    Unfortunately, I can't read that review, as I'm not a subscriber.

Jet does make a 10" version of the combo, but it looks like they have the exact same motor. I don't really need the extra 2" if I'm not going to get more power with it.

And I've never heard a lunch-box planer, so I have no basis for comparison

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaze Ficarra View Post
    And I've never heard a lunch-box planer, so I have no basis for comparison
    Think loud router on steroids.
    Please help support the Creek.

"The older I get, the better I used to be."
    Lee Trevino

Planers (whether combos or not) are both noisy and messy. Best advice is to go to a retail outlet or dealer and take a look. Bring some wood and ask to try one if possible. Things to keep in mind, some have disposable knives while others can be resharpened. Some knives are easier to swap & set than others. Chip collection via a dust collector or shop vacuum + separator is strongly recommended.

Planing hardwood pallets can be a pain. If they are dirty or have embedded grit then your knives will dull quickly. If they have metal or very hard knots, you can knick your knives.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Think loud router on steroids.
    The 8" & 10" Jet Jointer/Planers use universal motors, like the routers Bruce references. Larger/heavier machines use induction motors with (usually) belt drives. Running empty, machines with universal motors are noisier and induction motors are relatively quieter. Stick a piece of wood in either one and they're LOUD. Using a Shop Vac for chip collection adds to the din. I'm told hand planes are quiet, I wouldn't know .

Here is a link to a review by Charles Neil and Woodcraft of the 10-inch. It is in operation at the 4minute mark and you can hear it run

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPFfm...rom=PL&index=9
    oops ....1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 - yup all there, whew!

Sorry for the OT, but did anyone else notice that he practically never puts pressure on the outfeed side?

I noticed that too... I think it might be because he didn't want to block the camera or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Wright View Post
    Here is a link to a review by Charles Neil and Woodcraft of the 10-inch. It is in operation at the 4minute mark and you can hear it run

I was really surprised by how much the planer motor slowed down when planing. At one point it sounded like it had almost stalled.

Do portable planers sound like that? (Never owned anything except stationary machines).

I noticed that Charles made a comment to the effect that combo jointers with moveable tables never align properly. That would be contrary to the experience of MinniMax/Felder/Hammer etc owners experiences.
    Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Wright View Post

Thanks for that! It does help a little to see a video of it.

But from the lack of responses, it looks like Jet is still the only manufacturer that makes an 8" combo?

Would this work for you

I don't know budget, space etc. considerations but I'd be a little skeptical of the Jet machines unless budget or portability were paramount. If I were in the market again, I think this would be as "low" as I'd go. http://grizzly.com/products/10-Joint...er-Combo/G0675.

I know you stated you mostly work with pallet wood and its narrow widths. But there will come a time, and you know it will happen, where the need arises to joint/plane something wider than the capacity of your machine.
    I currently have a 12" J/P machine, but there are a couple of 14" wide slabs in my inventory now. Guess I will have to break out the hand plane.
    I don't think anyone has regretted getting a machine too big (is there such a thing??).

I have a 10" Jet jointer/Planer

I recently did a short review of the Jet 10" machine, so far I'm actually pretty impressed with it. If you expect to do 10" x10' hard Maple, this isn't the machine for you. I only picked this up to be a short term machine but it's growing on me. For planing I have a DW735 with the Byrd head, so I really just use it for jointing. I did test out the planer and it works pretty well, just not as well as the Dewalt. Over the weekend I ran quite a bit of hard maple and some walnut (up to about 8" wide) without any problems, just remember not to take too deep of a cut. Some of the worst boards I had took up to 4 passes to clean up, but the end result was fantastic.

At first I was very disappointed, then I found out about all the additional adjustments that aren't listed in the manual. Also the blades mine came with were nicked. The finished product now is great. To help with the light weight of the machine, I added a piece of plywood to the open stand and have 2 weight plates (45 lbs each) mounted there. This really helped dampen the machine.

As far as noise is concerned, it's loud but not nearly as bad as the Dewalt planer. I still use ear protection but it's very tolerable and the neighbors have yet to complain. I would say when jointing its about the same volume as my Makita 2 1/2hp router.

Dust collection works pretty well, but the 4" to 2 1/2" reducer really restricts my dust collector. I have run it with just a Ridgid shop vac and very little was left behind.

While the motor is a little small for my taste, I would really like to see how it would handle a spiral cutter head. After monitoring my dewalt amp draw before and after the Byrd was added, I think it would really help the Jet 10".

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reinholtz View Post

At first I was very disappointed, then I found out about all the additional adjustments that aren't listed in the manual. Also the blades mine came with were nicked. The finished product now is great. To help with the light weight of the machine, I added a piece of plywood to the open stand and have 2 weight plates (45 lbs each) mounted there. This really helped dampen the machine.

Dust collection works pretty well, but the 4" to 2 1/2" reducer really restricts my dust collector. I have run it with just a Ridgid shop vac and very little was left behind.

While the motor is a little small for my taste, I would really like to see how it would handle a spiral cutter head. After monitoring my dewalt amp draw before and after the Byrd was added, I think it would really help the Jet 10".
    Mike,

Do you have any more details on the additional adjustments that can be made? I have the 8" version of this and find it quite usable for the price and size point. I'm not thrilled with the limited ability to adjust the tables, and I've read that people have found ways to adjust them, but I've never seen any details on the adjustments. Can you point me to that, or send them to me in a PM, or just post them here? Thanks.

Also, for the dust collection, the 4" to 2.5" reducer is removable (on the 8" anyway), so I have it hooked directly to my 4" DC. That works way better than it did when I just had a shop vac hooked up to the 2.5" port.

Is it even possible to add a spiral cutter head to something like this? I would seriously consider upgrading mine if that was available.

-Steve