Thread: What paint is childsafe for wooden toys?

What paint is childsafe for wooden toys?

Hi all! Just wondering if there is a particular type of point that is recommended for painting kids toys? Toys that MIGHT go into a mouth or obviously get handled alot?

Thanks!

Vince

In the book "Making Toys that Teach", they suggest food coloring mixed around 50/50 with water if you want color. But since it is water soluable it needs to be clear coated. They state that urethane varnish is non-toxic when cured.

Unless I'm mistaken, shellac is non-toxic. I'm not sure about the pre-mixed stuff, but the flakes themselves are non-toxic and I personally use Everclear as a solvent so even the alcohol is non-toxic.

Vince, this recent thread discusses that same question a bit. The conclusion I came to was that acrylic paints that are certified non-toxic, with an AP seal on the package, are the best way to go. (Not all acrylic paints are certified non-toxic, so check the package). I've been using acrylics on toys I'm making as holiday gifts and have been pretty pleased with the results.

Note that if you are painting items for sale or donation, they're probably subject to new federal regulations under the CPSIA, a topic much-discussed here if you search.

If you decide to go the non-toxic acrylic direction, here's my specific experience. I bought three different brands: Craft Smart and Americana (at Michaels) and DecoArt Crafter's Acrylic (at an art supply store). Each a couple bucks for a 2 oz bottle.

The Craft Smart sucked. Too watery, took a half a dozen coats or more to get good coverage. The other two (which I now see are both made by DecoArt) were generally fine -- rich colors, good coverage in one coat for black, 2 or 3 coats for colors.

I also used a finish on top of the paint, Americana Triple Thick gloss glaze, also certified non-toxic. True to its name, its way thick, and it dries very fast like shellac. After a while, I realized it worked better watered down ~50%. It was a little fussy, there may well be something better out there.

There hasn't been legal toxic paint in the US since lead pigments were outlawed thirty or forty years ago. You should be able to use any paint on the shelves today in the US without worry that it is toxic.

Properly cured, all finishes are non-toxic. I'm sure all U.S. paint companies have done plenty of testing to avoid liability issues.
    And now for something completely different....

I still wouldn't want to eat automotive paint. Isocyanates are bad for the central nervous system.

What about a casein based milk paint?

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah Bartlett View Post
    I still wouldn't want to eat automotive paint. Isocyanates are bad for the central nervous system.

What about a casein based milk paint?

is there a soy juice version for the lactose intolerant?

lacquer

I have heard that nitro-cellulose lacquer when cured is non toxic. In other words I'm pretty sure if you could get it to chip off and ate it, I'm pretty sure you'd be ok. However, define cured... lacquer has a smell for a good amount of time for certain as any solvent based finish.

Shellac is used to coat some candy,I believe. I saw that on TV a few nights ago on How It's Made,I think,or some such show.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince Lok View Post
    Hi all! Just wondering if there is a particular type of point that is recommended for painting kids toys? Toys that MIGHT go into a mouth or obviously get handled alot?

Thanks!

Vince
    Don't forget to make sure the paint is not made in China.

That's how they get rid of corrosive drywall, bits of Chernobyl, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Shellac is used to coat some candy,I believe. I saw that on TV a few nights ago on How It's Made,I think,or some such show.
    So is carnauba wax. So, shellac it and then give it a good polish.
    Last edited by Scott Crumpton; 12-12-2009 at 8:33 PM. Reason: Spelling error

Lots of kids are sensitive to stinky finishes. My daughter has autism, and reacts poorly to many finishes used on wood. Tung oil is great, but isn't all that durable.