Thread: Walnut and Cherry Dresser

Walnut and Cherry Dresser

Hey All,
    I've been lurking around for a while. I must say all there are some amazing woodworkers here. I finally believe that I have something to contribute. This is a cherry and walnut dresser from Woodsmith #148. A few minor deviations from the plans (dovetail drawers and walnut instead of stained cherry). I also used a trick from one of the creeker's here and sunk a 2009 quarter into the back of one of the drawers to mark the date. I lucked out and got a pretty decent deal on the curly clario walnut. Critiques are welcome.

-Mark
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very pretty. I would take a dresser like that. Neat idea with the quarter I must of missed the other person who did that. You mentioned you were a lurker, are you new to woodworking in general or just the site?

Blog Entries
    Looks great. Love the figure in the top. I date-mark with pennies; I must be cheap .
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Looks great. Love the figure in the top. I date-mark with pennies; I must be cheap .
    Not only that, but you are creating more gov'ment deficit, Glenn! It costs 1.3 cents to make that penny - at least the guv'ment clears a little on Mark's qwater

Nice job, Mark. That is some beautiful claro walnut, and a good job on the bookface grain match. Looks like you used veneered ply for the carcass, did you veneer tape the front edges or glue on a strip?

Wish there was a future cam. I would like to see how that combo ages. Looks great.

Josh, I've been doing woodworking ever since High School. However it was within the last 5 years that I bought a house that supported a shop and my wood habit.

John, I used a strip of cherry hardwood on the edges of the ply.

About two years ago I made the complementing platform bed (mostly walnut with cherry panels) It has aged well so I am hoping this will too.

Mark,

There's really little to criticize other than it's in your home and not mine.
    The chest of drawers came out spectacular and I'm envious of these dovetails, how did you make them?

very nice. the figure on that top is fantastic.
    fledgling weekend warrior

Welcome and excellent job, Mark. That top knocks my socks off (well.. if I wore socks and shoes ) as it is just breath-taking to me.. Nice job on the joinery also.
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

10. That top really 'pops'. Nice work.

http://tealandgold.blogspot.com/

Thanks for all the compliments.

For the dovetails I used the rockler dovetail jig. Once it was dialed in they just flew together.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Tokheim View Post
    Hey All,
    This is a cherry and walnut dresser from Woodsmith #148.

-Mark
    Beautiful! I built the same dresser recently, using all cherry. Love your additional details. Okay, I gotta do dovetails on my next project!

Love the warm tone it has. Great piece. Welcome to the Creek.

T
    Please try to explain what you think you don't understand!!

Mark,

Welcome to the Creek. That is a beautiful dresser. That will be enjoyed for several life times. What did you use to finish the dresser. The walnut top is outstanding.

Sam

The finish is just general finishes oil/poly satin..