Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DIY Sliding Table?

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Bamba View Post
    Well said Johnny. (Rant on) I'm really getting tired of the negative attitude displayed by some on this forum. Especially the elitist who seem to think that there is no substitute for ultra high end [in their minds at least] machinery (Rant Off) Will I be banned now?

Ed
    Let's see, you criticize me for critcizing what I still think is an idea that will produce a disappointing result. I guess it is OK for you to criticize me personally by calling me an elitist, but I can't criticize what I think is a bad idea. I specifically said my comment was not intended as an insult. So, please.... cool it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Sylvan View Post
    My inquiring mind says you are either too cheap or too crazy!! No insult intended, but since I have a very robust sliding table, the idea of a home made one seems totally ludicrous to me.
    I'd say cheap, but I lean strongly to crazy..

Really, it may be a fruitless endeavor but if you can not have fun taking the walk then there's no point in standing up.

I enjoy the thinking behind such things and the journey it leads to. Be it good or bad in the end, it's still a learning experience and one which I'll surely grow from no matter what the outcome.

I'm not insulted by criticism, either well meaning or not, so no issue there.

I'd noticed that things seem a little volatile here lately myself while lurking around and reading threads. I wonder, is there something in the water, or perhaps some solar event? Regardless it's not encouraging.

But I digress. Appreciate the thoughts, feedback and links on the matter.. It's a project that's well behind other jigs and fixtures that I need to either build or rebuild.
    Last edited by Scott Hildenbrand; 09-16-2009 at 4:04 PM. Reason: Expanded my thoughts.. ;)

Years ago I build a slider for my 10" Grizzly. It was fun to make and it worked pretty darn good! I believe I got the plans from Woodsmith, or possibly ShopNotes.
    Dave on Lake Greenwood, SC

4. Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Hello,
    Do a search here on SMC for Nissim Avrahami.
    He made a sliding table out of laminate flooring.

BTW, enjoy the search.
    Nissim is creative to the max.
    I bet he did too.

Is this it:
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...hlight=Sliding

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Sylvan View Post
    Let's see, you criticize me for critcizing what I still think is an idea that will produce a disappointing result. I guess it is OK for you to criticize me personally by calling me an elitist, but I can't criticize what I think is a bad idea. I specifically said my comment was not intended as an insult. So, please.... cool it.
    Just so you'll know Dick, if my comment was directed at you, I would've quoted your response. Just like you did with mine. Go back to my response and you will see that I was responding to what Johnny wrote. It looks like others here are actually encouraging the OP. To the OP, sorry about using your thread for my rant.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hildenbrand View Post
    I'd noticed that things seem a little volatile here lately myself while lurking around and reading threads. I wonder, is there something in the water, or perhaps some solar event? Regardless it's not encouraging.
    It's not just this site.

If you decide to go for it post the play by play here or in the project forum. I would love to see the process whether it turns out or not. I'm sure there are plenty of people who would offer suggestions if you gent into design/implementation problems.

OK folks I seem to remember some of the greatest inventions took more than one try. Let’s see, wasn’t it Thomas Edison once said he now knows several hundred ways not to make a light bulb. Imagine what would have happened if someone told him (Actually someone probably did) he was cheap and crazy for trying to make a light bulb and he would have listened! When making something that has to be complex and/or accurate, most people do not get it right on the first try. It takes several tries. Many of you must not be engineers. Why do you think the term 'PROTOTYPE' is used? That way you can evaluate the idea and make improvements. It is a way to see what works and what doesn't. I know for me if someone tells me it can't be done, I have to prove that to myself first before I give up. I take pride in showing someone that it can be done. In my professional life I deal with more people that look for ways something will not work then the way to make it work. I am making a career out those type of people. It is a rare occasion where I find an idea that just will not work without an unlimited budget for development and high final cost. Usually it takes a fresh set of eyes or a different mind-set. Development and final cost usually end up being very reasonable.

One of the things I like about this board is looking at the pictures posted by some proud person who has just had the great idea light bulb light up and made the idea come to life. Some of the solutions to 'opportunities' are truly impressive. Most are not the first try but rather the result of several improvements even if they are not original ideas. Want an example? How many of you have a work bench that if true to a purchased plan? I am betting not many of you. I read most every day about I how someone bought the plans (or looked at a picture of the bench) and made improvements that better suite their situation.

I also liken this to the person who restores old things (cars, machines, tools, etc.). Sure you can just go and buy a (insert object here) and it will be better out of the box. But the person doesn’t want that. He/she likes the old one and will, in a lot of cases, make it better then new. Yea its crazy but only to the person who isn’t willing to understand why it was done. If nothing else it gives that person a sense of accomplishment. Self-pride. Why take that away from someone? There are a lot of us out there in today’s economy that only have that left. The brand sobs aside we should not be looking for ways things will not work but rather how to make it work or work better.

Sorry I will get off my soap box now.

Carry on,Scott. though I have a very well equipped wood and metal shop,I often go to the trouble to make things I might be better off buying. Right now,it's a wood carving pantograph machine.

I don't understand Dick's remark. Just because he HAS a sliding table,the idea of making one is crazy to him? What's that supposed to mean to the guy who DOESN'T have one? That's a very snotty and elitist attitude,DICK.

You could hunt around on ebay for linear bearing kits (the square ones that could actually substitute for drawer slides). I have seen affordable ones on ebay. I little bit of 80/20 aluminum and your off to the races. You may not save a whole lot, but when was that always an impediment? At least you can buy the parts over time.

Don't listen to naysayers. Seek smarter folk than that.

Mike

Thank you Rich and Cliff

Actually, I've never made a sliding table because I bought it with my TS as a "Package deal" and it can handle boards up to 39½" wide but most of the time I'm using a sled that can handle boards up to 25"...

This guy in Aussie made a sliding table
    http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=86252

Hope it helps
    niki

You can cut aluminum just fine on a wood bandsaw. Don't use your new blades,and DO wear goggles. Lots of bouncing, tiny chips.

We used to saw 1/2" brass on our 20" Delta before we got a metal bandsaw at work. Believe it or not,somehow sawing some brass actually seemed to make the blade sharper when we used it next on some wood. Might have built up a "false edge" on the old blades we used on metal. Did sharpen them though.

My point is,you could make many of the parts out of aluminum for your table. Don't be afraid to bandsaw them. Just clean out your saw afterwards,and get the chips off your tires.

Build it or buy it, an accurate, effective sliding table will make you totally fall in love with your table saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Nissim Avrahami View Post
    Actually, I've never made a sliding table because I bought it with my TS as a "Package deal" and it can handle boards up to 39½" wide but most of the time I'm using a sled that can handle boards up to 25"...

niki
    See, now THAT thing is more in line with what I was thinking and knew I'd seen before. In fact it was most likely yours. You might call it a sled, but it's more of a sliding table IMO. Just one that sits on top of another table..

I've really got to dig through all your old posts.. You've done some pretty ingenious things.

Anyway.. Thanks again to those and their opinions, good or bad..

Hmmmm... I've got 10 boxes of laminate down stairs.. Those will serve well as jigs and fixtures!

There is a type of bushing used on die sets, that is lined with ball bearings. We used to call them ball cages but the proper name escapes me right now. If you use them in conjunction with some ground round stock, you will have a very smooth and accurate motion. I'll dig around a little and see if I can find the right name for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Cunningham View Post
    There is a type of bushing used on die sets, that is lined with ball bearings. We used to call them ball cages but the proper name escapes me right now. If you use them in conjunction with some ground round stock, you will have a very smooth and accurate motion. I'll dig around a little and see if I can find the right name for them.
    I'm not exactly sure what you are referring to, but your description sounds a lot like how linear bearings work, you know, the ones used in sliding compound miter saws. By the way, why is it that so many of the sliders feel like they used square bearings? I mean they really aren't very smooth.

Brian Walter