Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How do you store your turning tools?

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Chris, that raises another question - does the big DC hood help? I have considered getting one to set up with my lathe.
    I think it does help channel the airflow. The key is making sure you do your sanding near where your dust collection is. I know that sounds obvious, but placement really is the key - and you don't always sand in the same place (think of bowl near headstock and spindle across the bed).

The dust hood is actually left over from a HF set of hoods and hoses I purchased when I first got a dust collector. It is technically called a table saw dust hood. I have seen where some people have constructed pretty elaborate setups, and even used a bowl with a hole in the bottom.

Remember, it really there for dust, not flying chips.

Hi,
    Finally took a couple of pics of the little corner where the lathe lives.
    Tools are held on mangetic strips and I have never had one fall.
    Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

I try to keep it at a minimium, this idea will cost you less than a buck. Just a hook and eye.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tom, I considered this method early on, but was concerned about dropping a tool while fumbling for one below my level of sight. Has that been an issue at all for you? Also good to see another HF lathe out there!!

So far, I really like a composite of several ideas. I think the Jeff Wright/Dan Forman/Larry Lukens rack is neat, and I think for the other "stuff" I really like Walter Mooney's drawer stack (also intrigued by the shape!!) These may fit in with the idea/hope of keeping my lathe somewhat mobile. I realize this is difficult to do and at the same time maintain stability and reduce vibration. However, if I do stick with only spindle work, it doesn't seem to be as much an issue.

BTW, this thread has ended up being an excellent collection of ideas and I appreciate the efforts of all. With the various links to previous threads, maybe we will now have a "keepable" collection of tool storage ideas! Keep 'em coming.

John,

Thanks for the compliment! I'm pretty proud of it too. The sloping or angled sides and front made it a very interesting project. I new fromthe beginning that I wanted it to match the shape of the splay of the legs.
    I laid all my "stuff" out on a template of the drawer bottom footprint for each drawer to be sure that I could fit what I wanted in the particular drawer.

I also agree with you on the collection of ideas that have been put forth in this thread. A lot of tremendous ideas. It might even qualify as a sort of sticky for future reference.

Walt

BTW, this thread has ended up being an excellent collection of ideas and I appreciate the efforts of all. With the various links to previous threads, maybe we will now have a "keepable" collection of tool storage ideas! Keep 'em coming.[/QUOTE]

John, this is not a collection of ideas......its the vortex sucking you in
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

sorry for not helping before. i had a couple things crack or break that i was working on, wasnt the best day ever. i will be more helpful in the future.
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Free Plans

Link to some free plans for ya'll.

Don't forget the rest of the lathe goodies.

John, While many of the helpful posts above point to solutions for the chisels, I also will add a link to my post about storing the rest of your collection of lathe "tools".

You may see it here.

"Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth."

Gary, I kind of like the idea of having the tools temporarily stored on the lathe ways! I may need to look at how much room I would have if turning a 30" leg, or some way to extend the setup to the right. Neat idea!

Frank, one major problem with your setup - too much room to fill with new toys!! You ended up with a very nice setup and a great find at HFH - kind of have it all in one spot - well, a movable spot!

Curtis - no problem! We all have bad days/moments - heck, sometimes I have bad weeks! Sorry about your projects, BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Townend View Post
    John, While many of the helpful posts above point to solutions for the chisels, I also will add a link to my post about storing the rest of your collection of lathe "tools".

You may see it here.
    Frank, That plan looks like it would let all the tools fall out of the rack when you removed the bungee cord. Am I missing something there?
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

Alan, I think you are talking about Gary's link, and I don't want to speak for him, but I took it that the rack hung on the wall with the bungee cord, but when on the lathe, it was at a fairly low angle, toward flat, so that gravity took over. But, I may be wrong.

That was the way I saw it too, the bungee is only for wall storage.